Rush @Helsinki, Hartwall Arena

This was my first Rush live show. Could have not been more perfect :)

I filmed 3 songs, The Wreckers, The Garden and YYZ.

Here is The Wreckers

Cheers for the video.

I really enjoyed the show also. I had very good seats this time (row 4, block 119, lower tier) compared to the last two concerts at the Hartwall and I'm sure this made a big difference. The sound was much much better to my ears this time.

I thought the new stuff was absolutely excellent, a real musical experience, which seemed to go down very well with the audience. The musicianship from the guys and the string ensemble was excellent, and the video backdrop complemented the songs perfectly.

As for the older stuff, much as I yearn to hear them play more from the 70's, I concede many of these are probably getting a bit too difficult for Geddy to sing, particularly on long tours like this one. A little too much from the 80's this time for me, but some of those songs were still really good to hear.

Edited by TheSphere
  • Like 1

Hola,

This was my first show in Europe and fifth on the tour. Perhaps I'll make a longer post later on, if anyone is interested, but the crowd was much different in Helsinki. With the exception of the floor, which was GA - everyone sat for the entire concert. Different culture, perhaps someone could point me to an article explaining this to me?

When the guitar intro for Limelight started at the 5 spot my friend and I were psyched,as they played it at their previous gig in Sweden. Me and this other dude got up and moved over to the right (where there were some empty seats so we wouldn't block the view of those behind us) and security told us to sit down. First row section 107 and forced to sit and crane my neck over the GA peeps on the floor.

Still a great show, Spirit of Radio was particularly good and I think The Wreckers is passing The Garden as my favorite. Weirdest song to sit down for was YYZ. Imagine sitting for the entire show? It was different.

I'm a bit tired now, I'm going to bed in VA after waking up in Finland 23 hours ago. Remind me to tell you how they keep the GA crowd in line on the floor - never happen in the US. I'll leave you with three parting thoughts.....

1) thank you Finland for being a gracious host. I will definitely visit your fabulous country again.

2) you can not imagine how beautiful the women are. It's like the whole country is populated by tall blond models.

3) I caught a shirt that Geddy threw. It was over my head but I got a hand on it. It fell to the floor and I won the scramble. It is too small to wear. My friend is a MUCH bigger fan than I am. I want to get the shirt framed with my ticket stubs from the 8 shows I will have seen after the tour ends in KC as a rememberance of my year of Rush. Part of me thinks I should give it to him. What say you?........

Edited by New Guy

Loved the show although the mix was a bit muddled.

Geddy was in top singing form. The strain of touring had probably begun to tell on poor Neil.

The string section was kinda okay I guess, but I would rather not hear/see them on the next tour :)

Looking forward to seeing the band again!

First RUSH show for me too. I can't express even in my own language how great it was so I'm not gonna try here. Hopefully the audience was big enough so that they don't have to skip Finland next time if they still do an European tour. In a magazine review it read tickets were almost sold out, but I saw some empty seats.

This was my first show in Europe and fifth on the tour. Perhaps I'll make a longer post later on, if anyone is interested, but the crowd was much different in Helsinki. With the exception of the floor, which was GA - everyone sat for the entire concert. Different culture, perhaps someone could point me to an article explaining this to me?

When the guitar intro for Limelight started at the 5 spot my friend and I were psyched,as they played it at their previous gig in Sweden. Me and this other dude got up and moved over to the right (where there were some empty seats so we wouldn't block the view of those behind us) and security told us to sit down. First row section 107 and forced to sit and crane my neck over the GA peeps on the floor...

Well, Finns are known to be a bit shy and reserved folk (except while drunk). But that doesn't mean we don't love the band. Alex's and Geddy's view here (starting at 0:47):

http://www.katsomo.fi/?progId=206616

Edited by Oakhugginghippie
  • Like 1

Imo the crowd was really good on the first rows. And the sound was excellent, atleast to my ears, i cant compare to other shows because this was my first one.