The Garden

lonelymoon

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 29 2012, 07:21 PM)
I know I'll get flamed for this but, I love it because Alex left us a place to solo. tongue.gif
http://www.greatfallingoftheleaves.com/Garden_solo.mp3

Woot, very nice. Impressive. Evocative and in key, if not so much of the sonic variation Alex typically has (pinches and bends, bridge and neck tonalities within one solo).

Constructive criticism? A bit fewer notes, more space, especially after a particularly evocative phrase, to let it sink in for the listener, to let them revel in the feeling for a few more milliseconds before blowing them away with yet another strong phrase.

Otherwise, great blend. Thank you.

Correction: there were quite a few bendy moments in there. And a pinched harmonic. And even more in keeping with the Lerxst tradition, you ended with a pre-defined arpeggio theme that fades back into serving the song.

Nice. AlexFinal.gif

Edited by psionic11

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 29 2012, 05:04 PM)
No, I get what the lyrics try to convey. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the *music* sounds like a dirge to me. (Contrast with "The Sphere" at the end of Hemispheres.)

Now don't get me wrong! It's a beautiful song and I certainly don't hate it! Alex's solo in it gets stuck in my mind quite often as a matter of fact.

I just prefer to have a Rush album end with something a little more uptempo and kinetic, that's all. wink.gif

A dirge? That's what some people say about Armor & Sword as well. I truly think what you and those other people are complaining about is a slower song. It's too bad, as Armor & Sword is easily the best song on S&A, and The Garden, while not my personal favorite off CA (it comes in a close second), is another masterpiece of a song.

I personally couldn't care less if a song is slow, mid-tempo, fast, heavy, not heavy or whatever... as long as it's a great song. This is a GREAT song at any speed, and it's a powerful song - a very, very fitting end to the CA concept, to an album, and if this ends up being their last album, to a career. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 30 2012, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 29 2012, 05:04 PM)
No, I get what the lyrics try to convey.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that the *music* sounds like a dirge to me.  (Contrast with "The Sphere" at the end of Hemispheres.)

Now don't get me wrong!  It's a beautiful song and I certainly don't hate it!  Alex's solo in it gets stuck in my mind quite often as a matter of fact.

I just prefer to have a Rush album end with something a little more uptempo and kinetic, that's all.  wink.gif

A dirge? That's what some people say about Armor & Sword as well. I truly think what you and those other people are complaining about is a slower song. It's too bad, as Armor & Sword is easily the best song on S&A, and The Garden, while not my personal favorite off CA (it comes in a close second), is another masterpiece of a song.

I personally couldn't care less if a song is slow, mid-tempo, fast, heavy, not heavy or whatever... as long as it's a great song. This is a GREAT song at any speed, and it's a powerful song - a very, very fitting end to the CA concept, to an album, and if this ends up being their last album, to a career. yes.gif

The Garden is one of the best songs Rush has ever written, bar none!!! atickhum.gif

I trully feel it is.

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 30 2012, 12:59 AM)
QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 29 2012, 07:21 PM)
I know I'll get flamed for this but, I love it because Alex left us a place to solo. tongue.gif
http://www.greatfallingoftheleaves.com/Garden_solo.mp3

Woot, very nice. Impressive. Evocative and in key, if not so much of the sonic variation Alex typically has (pinches and bends, bridge and neck tonalities within one solo).

Constructive criticism? A bit fewer notes, more space, especially after a particularly evocative phrase, to let it sink in for the listener, to let them revel in the feeling for a few more milliseconds before blowing them away with yet another strong phrase.

Otherwise, great blend. Thank you.

Correction: there were quite a few bendy moments in there. And a pinched harmonic. And even more in keeping with the Lerxst tradition, you ended with a pre-defined arpeggio theme that fades back into serving the song.

Nice. AlexFinal.gif

smile.gif Thanks. I agree with the fewer notes. I tend to put a lead there whenever I play along with the track and change it up every time. This wasn't "written" but more a one off and comes from how I was feeling it at that moment. I think it needs a little more delay and many things to change if it were at all serious. But it's just for fun so... trink39.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz