Greg Moore Tribute Thread

Riv

Oh man Riv, you're making me re-live that whole thing. I do want that book. Thanks for the thread, I will add some things soon.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 12 2005, 01:59 AM)
Oh man Riv, you're making me re-live that whole thing. I do want that book. Thanks for the thread, I will add some things soon.

Tell me about it, I had to watch it with my own eyes. This is good therapy for us.

Wednesday, November 24, 1999

CART retires Moore's No. 99

TROY, Mich. (CP) -- Championship Auto Racing Teams team owners have voted to retire No. 99 as a tribute to Canadian driver Greg Moore, killed last month in a crash during CART's season finale at the California Speedway.

The only other retired number is 14, which belonged to all-time Champ Car victory leader A.J. Foyt.

Moore, 24, was a four-year veteran of the FedEx Championship Series, all with the Player's Forsythe Racing Team. He won five races and became the youngest race winner in CART history following his 1997 victory at the Milwaukee Mile at the age of 22 years one month 10 days.

The Maple Ridge, B.C., racer chose No. 99 because it was the number on his first licence issued by the Westwood Karting Association.

"Everyone felt that we should retire the number 99 as a mark of respect for a fallen hero of our sport," said CART president and CEO Andrew Craig. "Greg Moore left a permanent impression on the FedEx Championship Series in his all-too-brief tenure with us.

"It seems only proper that we assure him a permanent legacy by retiring the number which became a symbol for his success."

Archived