Time for equipment change?

SignatureAurora75

Gotta say I love the new album first. Another amazing brilliant piece of work as always. All the songs are so stuck in my head.

Now I just want to see what people think about the instruments they use to record with. To me, Rush has always been about change and it's always exciting to wonder how each next album is going to sound overall - meaning the tone of the guitars and Alex's effects.

I'm certainly not knocking any of their choices for equipment. Geddy Lee's Fender Jazz has been around for so long it's become his trademark sound. Alex has been using Gibson for awhile now too, and Hughes and Kettner Amps. The tones are awesome, it's totally Rush.

I guess what I'm trying to say that in the 70's and 80's, 90's too each album had an overall different sound. To me, Clockwork Angels sounds so much like Snakes and Arrows. Vapor Trails might be thrown into that mix too. It's like they keep using the same near settings, equipment, etc to record with on the last few albums. I read an interview back somewhere that Alex mentioned that he's used his TC electronics effects (chorus, etc.) for years now.

I for one would love to see a big change in the overall sound of the next album. Different amps, different guitars and effects brands... Geddy's voice can stay though.

Rush has always been about change and experimenting, I would like to see them challenge themselves on what they can get something else to sound like.

Anyone else think the same thing or am I nuts?

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 13 2012, 04:48 PM)
Interesting notion but I only see it happening with a different producer.

True that. I guess one thing might be is that I sort of miss any simplicity that they use to have recorded. 1974-76 they sounded like a 3 or 4 man band. 1977-1982 they sounded like they were a 5 man band. 1984-1996 they sounded like they were an 8 man band. 2002-present they sound like they're a 20 man band. At least to my ears.

Rush is toooo complicated nowdays, too much noise and overdubs. Maybe that's just my taste. I still love it nonetheless though.

Agreed. I've always thought they sound best when just the three of them are jamming. Like the solo in Lock and Key, or even when Geddy adds the keys with his feet, but not much more than that. I mean it's cool in the studio but it just doesn't hold up as well live imo.

Im half way done reading the fanpack magazine (excellant BTW) and what I read last night said that Geddy used bass pedels and he hasnt used them since like Hemispheres. It was funny nick wanted old school and they had to rent them from some place in canada.

Neil is in too deep with DW to switch now but IMO all the records he has recorded with DW drums don't compare sonically with his past kits. He will never switch at this point though. I miss the excitement of those Ludwig drums.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 13 2012, 10:36 PM)
Neil is in too deep with DW to switch now but IMO all the records he has recorded with DW drums don't compare sonically with his past kits. He will never switch at this point though. I miss the excitement of those Ludwig drums.

I am not following you around Presto HOnest)). But it seems I agree on more than a few topics with you biggrin.gif . I too miss the Ludwig sound. But as you said, probably not going back at this point.

Edited by Steely Caress

Yep.... I'm over the DWs. He's been playing those for 16 years. I think his recorded drum sound gets worse with each progressing record. On this album, it sounds like he's playing with trash cans.

Honestly... I miss the Slingerland snare (Old #1). That's Neil's sound.

I realize they aren't the kind of band that looks backward.... but I'd love to hear them again with Geddy going Rick -> Ampeg and the Oberheims, Alex using the 335 / 355, Neil playing an old set of Tamas or Slingerlands, and the whole thing recorded to tape with no compression.

Edited by analog guy

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 13 2012, 08:36 PM)

Totally agree. Loved the Ludwigs. But the point you bring up about Neil being in too deep with DW... That bothers me.

I know in the past neither of these guys felt comfortable doing endorsement deals. Now look what they have done. I hate the fact that Alex has (or had) his name bound to a contract with Gibson. I guess its all about the money.