Clockwork Angels

vital signz

After viewing the lyrics it seems pretty apparent to me that the whole album is a metaphor for Peart's life and travels.

The title song--Clockwork Angels:

The most blatant "Chronos Square at the heart of Crown City"... Chronos is a Greek word having to do with time...Gotta be Times Square in New York City, right? High above the city square, globes of light float in mid-air, higher still, against the night, all around the city square, power shimmers in the air, people gazing up with love... etc etc...

The symbols on the album, do they not have some Greek derivation?

Opinions? Other Suggestions?

Edited by vital signz

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 6 2012, 11:50 AM)
After viewing the lyrics it seems pretty apparent to me that the whole album is a metaphor for Peart's life and travels.

The title song--Clockwork Angels:

The most blatant "Chronos Square at the heart of Crown City"... Gotta be Times Square in New York City, right? High above the city square, globes of light float in mid-air, higher still, against the night, all around the city square, power shimmers in the air, people gazing up with love... etc etc...

Opinions? Other Suggestions?

yes.gif

I'll bite.

He mentions in the little Liner Note story about "life on the farm".

Headlong Flight, obvious.

Wish Them Well, his viewpoints on the people he's met?

The Wreckers, the tragedy?

I for once think Neil was honestly just writing a captivating story, I'm not sure there is much meaning around the songs beyond the story of Clockwork Angels (other than HF being tribute to Freddy).

The more I read, the more I believe it all an allegory of Peart's life. Just the way each song tells a part of the journey, and the beginning of the tale of the Headlong Flight part of the story is , "In the words of one of our great alchemists, Friedrich Gruber, "I wish I could do it all again."

"The days were dark, and the nights were bright, hey man, I would never trade tomorrow for today"... I wouldn't be surprised if those words were actually spoken by Gruber to Peart...