2:00 minute Edit of Headlong Flight

losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 5 2012, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2012, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Apr 5 2012, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 5 2012, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 02:09 PM)
Update from RIAB

UPDATE - 4/5@1:38PM: Here are some of DJ_Carter's comments regarding the radio-edit of Headlong Flight that he listened to:

... The opening chords sound almost EXACTLY like a heavier version of Bastille Day. ... There's some Bastille Day rhythms, a more raw guitar tone that sounds less polished and more Hemispheres-y, an absolutely bone-shattering drum break in the middle that sounds like a modern version of Neil's break in By-Tor, and some really audible and fun shifts in the structure of the song, a la the transitions in Natural Science. If I had to encapsulate the sound in just a few words, it would be Caress of Steel crossed with Vapor Trails. Headlong Flight doesn't feel as heavy as BU2B; it's very much Vapor Trails-y, but with much more tasty bass. Truly, the bass in this song is killer. I think we can count on seeing a lot more of the Leave That Thing Alone live solo stuff on this record. ... One thing that was really encouraging about this track was the fact that Neil's drumming was very fast in certain places. BU2B was ... heavy but plodding, not challenging or rhythmically complex. Headlong Flight is totally different. This is Neil at his best, and the break I mentioned earlier feels like his classic fills. There is indeed a guitar solo, towards the end of the track. But it's a solo in the sense that Alex's solo from Caravan was a solo. He's shredding, no doubt about it, but it isn't like a Freewill type of shredding that has a pattern and a resolution. Very frenetic and exciting, though! ...

Goobs...don't look! tongue.gif

Doesn't goobs love CoS though? Holy conflict! tongue.gif

It's all kind of ridiculous at this point. I've read maybe 10 different descriptions of the song now, and each of the 10 sound like they're talking about different songs.

I much preferred when they released a clip of Far Cry and we all debated on what we'd actually HEARD as opposed to heresay and conflicting descriptions from people based on one listen. It's impossible to know what to think.

Once we hear for ourselves, we'll be able to judge properly...

To make things easier, I just assume the latest description is the most accurate and discard the rest from memory. Plus, this guy sounds pretty lucid.

I don't know? I think i rather have it sound like By-Tor/ Bastille Day with 80's synth than COS and VT!

VT Noooooooooooo! rage.gif

don't worry i'm sure someone will give a review tomorrow that will say it sounds like bytor and bastille day with 80's synth and a hint of cos and vt.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 5 2012, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 5 2012, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2012, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Apr 5 2012, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 5 2012, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 02:09 PM)
Update from RIAB

UPDATE - 4/5@1:38PM: Here are some of DJ_Carter's comments regarding the radio-edit of Headlong Flight that he listened to:

... The opening chords sound almost EXACTLY like a heavier version of Bastille Day. ... There's some Bastille Day rhythms, a more raw guitar tone that sounds less polished and more Hemispheres-y, an absolutely bone-shattering drum break in the middle that sounds like a modern version of Neil's break in By-Tor, and some really audible and fun shifts in the structure of the song, a la the transitions in Natural Science. If I had to encapsulate the sound in just a few words, it would be Caress of Steel crossed with Vapor Trails. Headlong Flight doesn't feel as heavy as BU2B; it's very much Vapor Trails-y, but with much more tasty bass. Truly, the bass in this song is killer. I think we can count on seeing a lot more of the Leave That Thing Alone live solo stuff on this record. ... One thing that was really encouraging about this track was the fact that Neil's drumming was very fast in certain places. BU2B was ... heavy but plodding, not challenging or rhythmically complex. Headlong Flight is totally different. This is Neil at his best, and the break I mentioned earlier feels like his classic fills. There is indeed a guitar solo, towards the end of the track. But it's a solo in the sense that Alex's solo from Caravan was a solo. He's shredding, no doubt about it, but it isn't like a Freewill type of shredding that has a pattern and a resolution. Very frenetic and exciting, though! ...

Goobs...don't look! tongue.gif

Doesn't goobs love CoS though? Holy conflict! tongue.gif

It's all kind of ridiculous at this point. I've read maybe 10 different descriptions of the song now, and each of the 10 sound like they're talking about different songs.

I much preferred when they released a clip of Far Cry and we all debated on what we'd actually HEARD as opposed to heresay and conflicting descriptions from people based on one listen. It's impossible to know what to think.

Once we hear for ourselves, we'll be able to judge properly...

To make things easier, I just assume the latest description is the most accurate and discard the rest from memory. Plus, this guy sounds pretty lucid.

I don't know? I think i rather have it sound like By-Tor/ Bastille Day with 80's synth than COS and VT!

VT Noooooooooooo! rage.gif

don't worry i'm sure someone will give a review tomorrow that will say it sounds like bytor and bastille day with 80's synth and a hint of cos and vt.

Well according to the latest now its a little Hemisphere-y! What ever that means? Maybe it has the Sus4 chord that Alex is notorious for!

confused13.gif

QUOTE (Jake2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 5 2012, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 5 2012, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 5 2012, 03:29 PM)
It took me about 45 minutes to create that. Do you know the opening sound is The Wave at the end of Nat Science throught a lot of effects?

confused13.gif

Dude...you wasted 45 minutes on a joke...just to trick us? confused13.gif

I wasn't trying to trick anyone, just amuse and maybe have some fun!

I think the response is much more agrivating than the actual clip, which is kinda cool I think. Placing all those tweeted descriptions of Headlong Flight into one song!.....Come on? Really?

Now we have this new take stating it's like:

Goober look away!

Caress of Steel crossed with Vapor Trails

That could be the worse possible analogy!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

Great now I have to add Vapor Trails and COS to the mix!

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

Mine was more a joke than anything. I wasn't fooled by it...so it didn't bother me as much as it did others.

With that said, from what I gather...when they mentioned VT, I think they were referring simply to the "heaviness" of it.

"The opening chords are like a heavier version of Bastille Day"

As long as the production is not like VT, and as long as this album actually has GUITAR SOLOS...then I'm happy. 1022.gif

I was pretty happy with the mix of the first two songs (Caravan and BU2B). I really don't want to see VT mentioned anywhere near Clockwork Angels. I know he didn't mean the mix. Nick couldn't reproduce that train wreck if he tried. I just cringed when I saw it! COS and VT together. Thats just awful!

062802puke_prv.gif

To me, that's the best thing they could say, other than saying it's like AFTK or Hemispheres. But hey, every Rush fan is different trink39.gif

I saw both tours,

So that would be an interesting concept. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 5 2012, 09:29 PM)
It took me about 45 minutes to create that. Do you know the opening sound is The Wave at the end of Nat Science throught a lot of effects?

confused13.gif

I think the response is much more agrivating than the actual clip, which is kinda cool I think. Placing all those tweeted descriptions of Headlong Flight into one song!.....Come on? Really?

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

Mine was more a joke than anything. I wasn't fooled by it...so it didn't bother me as much as it did others.

With that said, from what I gather...when they mentioned VT, I think they were referring simply to the "heaviness" of it.

As long as the production is not like VT, and as long as this album actually has GUITAR SOLOS...then I'm happy. 1022.gif

I was pretty happy with the mix of the first two songs (Caravan and BU2B). I really don't want to see VT mentioned anywhere near Clockwork Angels. I know he didn't mean the mix. Nick couldn't reproduce that train wreck if he tried. I just cringed when I saw it! COS and VT together. Thats just awful!

062802puke_prv.gif

To me, that's the best thing they could say, other than saying it's like AFTK or Hemispheres. But hey, every Rush fan is different trink39.gif

I saw both tours,

You saw the Hemispheres tour too. Dude your my new Best Friend!

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Apr 4 2012, 08:55 PM)
f**k you. This actually makes thins worse than nothing at all. You made people's hopes rise and then you smashed them down. So all I have to say is f**k you.

That is what Grandpa Joe said to Willy Wonka when he tricked Charlie... wink.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 6 2012, 04:58 AM)

confused13.gif

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

I saw both tours,

bekloppt.gif

I did biggrin.gif

Here are the set lists. cool.gif 2.gif

AFTK

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Xanadu

A Farewell To Kings

Something For Nothing

Cygnus X-1

Anthem (reportedly excluded from the December 10th, 1977 and February 17th and 23rd, 1978 shows)

Closer To The Heart

2112 (excludes "Oracle: The Dream")

Working Man

Fly By Night

In The Mood

Drum Solo

Encore: Cinderella Man

Hemispheres

Anthem

A Passage To Bangkok

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Something For Nothing (reportedly dropped from all dates in Germany.)

The Trees

Cygnus X-1 (reportedly dropped from all dates in Germany.)

Hemispheres

Closer To The Heart

Circumstances (reportedly dropped from the April 23rd, 1979 show.)

A Farewell To Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In The Mood

Drum Solo

I saw them before Circumstances was dropped. trink39.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 6 2012, 09:39 AM)

confused13.gif

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

I saw both tours,

bekloppt.gif

I did biggrin.gif

AFTK

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Xanadu

A Farewell To Kings

Something For Nothing

Cygnus X-1

Anthem (reportedly excluded from the December 10th, 1977 and February 17th and 23rd, 1978 shows)

Closer To The Heart

Working Man

Fly By Night

In The Mood

Drum Solo

Hemispheres

Anthem

A Passage To Bangkok

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Xanadu

The Trees

Hemispheres

Closer To The Heart

A Farewell To Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In The Mood

Drum Solo

get back to your fishing hole you old goat. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 6 2012, 06:44 AM)

confused13.gif

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

I saw both tours,

bekloppt.gif

I did biggrin.gif

AFTK

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Xanadu

A Farewell To Kings

Something For Nothing

Cygnus X-1

Closer To The Heart

Working Man

Fly By Night

In The Mood

Drum Solo

Hemispheres

Anthem

A Passage To Bangkok

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Xanadu

The Trees

Hemispheres

Closer To The Heart

A Farewell To Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In The Mood

Drum Solo

laugh.gif

That's slated for tomorrow. biggrin.gif old.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 6 2012, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 6 2012, 06:44 AM)

confused13.gif

Goober look away!

Vapor Trials? Really?

banghead.gif

z7shysterical.gif

laugh.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

I saw both tours,

bekloppt.gif

I did biggrin.gif

AFTK

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Xanadu

A Farewell To Kings

Something For Nothing

Cygnus X-1

Closer To The Heart

Working Man

Fly By Night

In The Mood

Drum Solo

Hemispheres

Anthem

A Passage To Bangkok

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Xanadu

The Trees

Hemispheres

Closer To The Heart

A Farewell To Kings

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Bastille Day

In The Mood

Drum Solo

laugh.gif

That's slated for tomorrow. biggrin.gif old.gif

All you would have to do is replace the repeated songs in the seconds set with newer songs from PeW and Beyond and you have a really great Tour!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif