Activision's Plastic Guitar Revival Plan Announced

USB Connector

So a while ago, Activision said they would revive the Guitar Hero franchise. They finally announced how. In simple, they launched a web based application that allows you to create real songs using your five buttoned guitar. I haven't checked it out, but by the sound of their interview on IGN, it's just an expanded version of their song creation mode that has been available since Guitar Hero: World Tour.

I won't copy and paste the article, as it is quite lengthy for one post. You can check it out here:

IGN Interview

I found the article quite amusing. Activision claims their product is going to change things in music games, when they only seem to have expanded on a feature of older Guitar Hero games. I would like to point out that people who can only play the five buttoned guitar typically don't have any musical knowledge. Rocksmith, actually teaches you to play the guitar and they have a mode that allows you to try different amp/pedal combinations and get creative with what you've learned. Rock band gives you some basic lessons on a real guitar and teaches you the real notes to the songs you play, which after a lot of practice one might be able to extend that a little into make their own music (and possibly inspire them to learn the guitar properly).

Activision won't be changing the game at all, maybe they'll tweak how Ubisoft approaches Rocksmith 2, but as usual, they only seem to be taking a step sideways.