Bass amplification (practice only)

Gilby

Just want a little feedback on this one.

I play a bit of guitar and have both an electric and acoustic. The problem I have is that living on a narrowboat in the uk, we have no mains electric. I use a vox battery amp (dac5 I think) which is a great bit of kit.

I have the opportunity of a bass on a sort of permanent loan. It's a squire precision and lives in my brothers attic. Using it just for some noodling, do you guys think it would be ok through the little vox guitar amp? Had a look for bass practice amps and have yet to find one that can be battery powered. I could power one through an inverter from the boats battery banks but would rather not add more consumption to our domestic supply.

I know the bottom line is to suck it and see but obviously would rather not kill the vox.

Any advice would be gratefully welcomed.

I wouldn't worry about it. An amp is an amp. If it can handle an instrument level input then it can't tell the difference between bass and guitar in terms of signal strength. Instrument level is instrument level. Your guitar outputs a hotter signal than any single/split coil bass pickup. Lower frequencies make no matter. There are lots of guys who play bass through guitar amps, most notably Les Claypool. Turn it up and play.