Assistance Needed

kastekniv

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jun 8 2005, 03:50 PM)
Two completely different animals. To me, the only similarity is Ged and Jon both have high voices. That is where the similarities end.

Both bands have been favs of mine for over 30 years ... i grew up with their music, RUSH is my fav, but not because they are better. Both bands are comprised of world class musicians. Not much separates their talent/ abilities and creativity. So it really is moot in my book. But, here are a few observations.

As far as playing ability, I feel that Alex could play anything Steve or Trevor could play and vice versa. Although Steve is a cleaner picker. Same with Geddy and Chris.

One place where Yes has the edge is on the keys. Rick Wakeman is a master pianist. Truely world class. Geddy is a good keyboardist, but I have never seen any evidence that he is anything more than that.

Also, melodically, Yes is in a different world. Layered harmonies, greater range ... much more variation ... etc.

Where RUSH has the edge is percussion. I doubt that Alan could match Neil. I am sure would come very close though. Bruford too.

the bottom line to me is ... who cares? I LOVE both bands ...

Best post of the day here. goodpost.gif

smile.gif

My sentiments exactly. BTW, I first met ES on a Rush board, then met him for REAL before a Yes show. Cool, no?

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 8 2005, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jun 8 2005, 03:50 PM)
Two completely different animals. To me, the only similarity is Ged and Jon both have high voices. That is where the similarities end.

Both bands have been favs of mine for over 30 years ... i grew up with their music, RUSH is my fav, but not because they are better. Both bands are comprised of world class musicians. Not much separates their talent/ abilities and creativity. So it really is moot in my book. But, here are a few observations. 

As far as playing ability, I feel that Alex could play anything Steve or Trevor could play and vice versa. Although Steve is a cleaner picker. Same with Geddy and Chris.

One place where  Yes has the edge is on the keys. Rick Wakeman is a master pianist. Truely world class. Geddy is a good keyboardist, but I have never seen any evidence that he is anything more than that.

Also, melodically, Yes is in a different world. Layered harmonies, greater range ... much more variation ... etc.

Where RUSH has the edge is percussion. I doubt that Alan could match Neil. I am sure would come very close though. Bruford too.

the bottom line to me is ... who cares? I LOVE both bands ...

Best post of the day here. goodpost.gif

smile.gif

My sentiments exactly. BTW, I first met ES on a Rush board, then met him for REAL before a Yes show. Cool, no?

Aw Shucks blush4.gif And you have been in my dreams ever since wub.gif

I remember that night well ... see my photo for a pic from that night! smile.gif

That was an AWESOME show!

I had to make a decision last year between Rush and Yes concerts, I could not afford both. I went with Rush because of the energy! I'm an avid Yes fan, I have everything they recorded. If you ever get a chance to see the DVD live in Phili from 1979, it's fabulous. Granted the image quailty is sub-par, but the sound is remarkable. I trip back in time. A great time.

Archived