2112: Studio vs. Tuned-Down Version

GUP1771

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Sep 7 2011, 09:30 AM)
If fans do not like the whole step down tuning of '2112' and 'Circumstances' from the audio CD of 'Rush In Rio', 'R30' and 'Snakes & Arrows', here is what I would recommend.

Extract the two above songs to your computer from the CD's.

Download a free legitimate program called Audacity to your computer.

Open Audacity and import the songs into the program and there is an option to raise the pitch to the normal studio version keys.

Save the files and then play the songs.

This will be the best solution to the problem. smile.gif

Hey dude: "No static". Great Album.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 7 2011, 08:32 AM)
It gives the Priests and the song in general a much darker tone.

Maybe it's because I grew up with the studio version, but I think the Priests sound a little goofy in the tuned down version, like there's humor lurking in the background. The shriller, more forceful vocals in the original make them sound less flexible and, therefore, more dangerous. GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Sep 7 2011, 09:30 AM)
If fans do not like the whole step down tuning of '2112' and 'Circumstances' from the audio CD of 'Rush In Rio', 'R30' and 'Snakes & Arrows', here is what I would recommend.

Extract the two above songs to your computer from the CD's.

Download a free legitimate program called Audacity to your computer.

Open Audacity and import the songs into the program and there is an option to raise the pitch to the normal studio version keys.

Save the files and then play the songs.

This will be the best solution to the problem.  smile.gif

Haha, okay, I totally just did that with an "Overture/Temples" performance from a Time Machine bootleg. You know, it sounded right in ways the tuned down version didn't. Maybe I'm just so used to the original from listening to it for such a long time (never mind you how many years, but enough biggrin.gif).

I haven't played music professionally in a long time, but I still like to play with friends and around campfires. I've got pretty good relative pitch, and I can find some notes without an instrument if I think about it. Whenever I'm trying to figure out if a note is an A I hum the first two notes of "Overture" (E > A). Hearing it detuned is a little disorienting as a result, I keep wanting to tune them up a step!

-Jane

2.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2011, 01:32 AM)
Obviously the 2112 album version...

It's heavier, the guitar riffs and solos on the DS version don't quite explode in the same way as the studio version and the vocals haven't got the insane Geddy shriek factor that makes it really kick ass too...

cool10.gif

I must say, I'm a bit surprised -- I was expecting a response more along the lines of, "The tuned-down version is more METAL. 1022.gif " tongue.gif trink36.gif