Let's look at the most embarrassing arrests

Rush Cocky

The 13 Most Embarrassing Arrests in NFL History

When an NFL player gets arrested, it is guaranteed to make headlines across the nation. When that athlete has gotten arrested for something embarrassing, it will forever be remembered.

As someone who has never shot myself in the leg or attempted to urinate in the middle of a dance floor, I can honestly say I have no idea what the following players were thinking. In fact, upon further review, I am fairly confident that they weren't thinking.

Some say that you need to be extremely intelligent to play in the NFL. I have proof that isn't always the case (no pun intended).

Here are the 13 most embarrassing arrests in NFL history.

13. Raheem Brock

Raheem Brock is the most recent player on this list to be arrested.

Just over a month ago, Brock bailed on a $27 bill at a bar. I didn't forget a couple of zeros in that dollar amount either. He supposedly had a minor scuffle with police shortly after he left the bar.

I know the NFL lockout has been difficult on players' wallets, but seriously, put it on a credit card and pay the extra 14 percent interest.

12. Cedric Benson

After leaving the Bears, Cedric Benson has revived his career in Cincinnati. However, it was in Chicago that Benson was arrested for boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest.

Neither charge forced him to serve jail time, but the way in which he was arrested is embarrassing. After failing a field sobriety test, Cedric supposedly became a little hostile towards the arresting officers. In fact, he became so hostile that the police found it necessary to use pepper spray to calm him down.

This entire arrest has become rather messy as Benson feels that he was indeed sober, and the police abused him. Whether he is telling the truth or not is not up to me, but whenever you get pepper sprayed, it has to be embarrassing.

11. Onterrio Smith

For those of you who don't remember Onterrio Smith, he was a former running back for the Minnesota Vikings.

I guess Smith had issues with drugs, because in 2005, he was detained at the airport in Minneapolis-St. Paul. The reason he was detained was for carrying dried urine and a suspicious device that no one at the airport had seen before.

After some research, airport security found out the device was known as a Whizzinator. In case you aren't familiar with a Whizzinator, it is a kit that turns dried urine into liquid urine that will pass drug tests.

I guess the kit didn't work for Smith because he was suspended for the entire season after failing his third drug test. He was released by Minnesota the following year.

10. JaMarcus Russell

I wasn't sure if it was possible for the Oakland Raiders to become more embarrassed about JaMarcus Russell, but after he was arrested in 2010, I stood corrected.

Russell was arrested in his home for being in possession of codeine syrup. His "purple drank" has powerful pain medication in it. It is illegal to have in your possession without a prescription, and JaMarcus Russell had no prescription.

What makes this arrest so embarrassing is that Russell's name and address constantly showed up during a two-month investigation.

Either JaMarcus was really sick for a really long time, or he has some serious issues. I lean towards the latter of the two.

9. Randy Moss

I have to admit that I am not the best driver. I often forget to use my turn signal when changing lanes, and once or twice, I have gone over the speed limit. One thing I have never done is hit an officer of the law with my car.

While trying to make an illegal turn, a policewoman attempted to stop Randy Moss by standing in front of his car. Instead of stopping like most normal human beings, Moss decided to bump her with his car. The woman fell to the ground, and Randy was arrested for suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.

While the crime sounds serious, Moss plead guilty to a minor traffic violation and was ordered to pay a fine and do community service.

8. Pat McAfee

Being a punter must be a pretty cushy job in the NFL. Seriously, all you have to do is kick the football a long distance and make it look like you attempted to make a tackle. But after the events on October 20, 2010, Pat McAfee gave punters a whole new type of respect.

McAfee was arrested for public intoxication after being found shirtless and wet. He was supposedly attempting to break into a car. The police were called on him when the woman who owned the car spotted him in the act.

I guess even punters know how to have a good time.

7 & 6. Fred Smoot and Bryant McKinnie (Tie)

I really don't even know where to begin with Fred Smoot and Bryant McKinnie. Even though numerous members of the Minnesota Vikings partook in what is now known as the "Love Boat," Smoot and McKinnie were at the center of the crime.

They rented a boat on Lake Minnetonka and hired prostitutes to have a party on the boat with them. The details of this incident are rather inappropriate, so I won't go into detail. However, the entire incident was an embarrassment to the entire NFL.

5. Shaun Rogers

In recent years, airport security has become rather intense. I once had to throw away my toe nail clippers because they were deemed dangerous weapons.

I'm not sure if Shaun Rogers' arrest in 2010 was embarrassing or stupid, but whatever it was, it was worthy of getting on this list. Rogers was arrested at the Cleveland Hopkins Airport for having a loaded gun in his carry-on luggage. Yeah, you read that right, a loaded gun.

Did Rogers think that he was going to get that past security? I wonder if he accidentally forgot to put his gun in his checked bag.

4. Kenyatta Jones

Kenyatta Jones was a former offensive lineman for the New England Patriots. He was released by New England after being arrested for pouring scalding hot water on his roommate. However, that isn't even his most embarrassing arrest.

Although this specific arrest didn't take place while he was actually playing in the NFL, the fact that he once played professional football was good enough for me. In 2008, Jones was arrested for attempting to urinate on the dance floor in a Tampa Bay nightclub.

While being thrown out of the club, Jones shoved the off-duty officer which resulted in a battery and resisting arrest charge.

On one hand, I can see where Jones is coming from. I often mistake dance floors for urinals. On the other hand, the first time I read this, I laughed so hard I almost urinated in my office chair. I wonder if my boss would have had me arrested?

3. Eugene Robinson

During the 1998 NFL season, Eugene Robinson and the Atlanta Falcons were living the good life. They finished the year with an 14-2 record and earned a trip to Super Bowl XXXIII.

Robinson was a key member of the Falcons' defense and even earned a trip to the Pro Bowl. The day before the Super Bowl, he was given the Bart Starr Award for his high moral character. Robinson, and his high moral character, got into a little trouble later in the evening.

He was arrested for trying to pay an undercover cop that was posing as a prostitute money to perform certain "acts" on him.

I'm not sure if there has ever been a more ironic award recipient in the history of sports. It is safe to say that Robinson's high moral character was somewhere else that night.

2. Najeh Davenport

Had Najeh Davenport actually been in the NFL when he committed his crime, he would have easily been the top spot on this list. Unfortunately, it happened before the NFL draft, so he will have to settle for second place.

Have you ever wondered why Davenport had the nicknames "Dookie" and "The Dump Truck" during his NFL career? Well, let me shed some light on the situation for you. Davenport broke into a college dorm room at Barry University and went to the bathroom in the woman's laundry basket. I'm not talking about just urinating either. That's right, he was arrested for breaking into a woman's room and defecating (a fancy word for pooping) in her laundry basket.

The greatest part of this entire case was when Davenport claimed his innocence and yelled, "Where's the evidence? Where's the manure?"

Sorry Najeh, I don't think the woman kept the keepsake you left her.

1. Plaxico Burress

Whenever you accidentally shoot yourself in the leg, you automatically get the top spot on any list. On November 28, 2008, Plaxico Burress shot himself in the thigh while attempting to reposition the handgun that was tucked in his sweatpants. While reaching for the gun, he mistakenly pulled the trigger.

I think it's safe to say that you probably shouldn't carry a gun in the waistband of your pants without the safety on. After being released from the hospital, Burress turned himself in for criminal possession of a handgun.

Thankfully, I've never shot myself before, but if I ever did, I guarantee I would be embarrassed.