Covering the lamb

Is it possible?

I've been thinking it'd be cool to do this live locally if we cut it down to something more accessible and that a three-piece would be capable of doing. We're hoping to go into the studio come Christmas time and get an album out about three months later. In the meanwhile I've been trying to transpose the lamb into a possible 3 piece setting.

We have a drummer in charge of percussion and some special effects, and teo almost identical musicians in charge of guitars, bass, and all keyboards. Only difference between these two guys is one will be lead guitarist and the other lead vocalist.

The opening track seems doable. Someone plays the piano intro and piano throughout while the bassist sings and of course drums. The guitar effects will be triggered with foot pedals or sampled. Fly on a windshield/Broadway melody seem easy enough for a normal three piece. Cuckoo Cucoon will be tough with flute but that will probably be sampled or done with a different guitar effect. The keyboard solo in in the cage will be transposed to guitar. Grand par are will be simple and fun. Back in NYC is repetitive but in 7/8 but it shouldn't be a problem and will probably be played on guitar. Hairless heart is simple enough, as is counting out time, and carpet crawlers as well. Vocally, this will be tough but with practice it can be done, although the real vocal challenge is in the chamber.

Disc 2 starts easy and we'll have time for fun in the dark with the waiting room. Anyway will be tough since it's dependent on both piano and bass and a guitar solo, so we may omit the bass entirely or play it on piano. Same with the Lamia after anesthetist. Silent sorrow is another simple one. Mystic slipper man is the toughest part but the keyboard solo will be played on guitar. All of demanding stuff for the drums and effects here. Ravine is simple and quick and the light lies down shouldn't be so tough. Riding the scree will be on guitar again, and the rest seems simple enough...

What do you think? Too optimistic, am I? Shuld we just do supper's ready instead? laugh.gif

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

I'm sure how it would sound without a full-time keyboard player. You may be able to make it work, but I'm not sure it would sound too great. Plus, the vocalist has to be really good. PG is one of the best singers, and if the vocalist f*cks up, the whole thing will be ruined. I'd suggest getting someone to play keys, and making sure you have a great singer.

Anyway will be tough since it's dependent on both piano and bass and a guitar solo, so we may omit the bass entirely or play it on piano.

If you do try this out, you could get/borrow a set of bass pedals. It won't sound the same but it will be better than nothing.

Anyway, good luck! If you guys do decide to do this, post some videos.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 5 2011, 06:54 PM)
I'm sure how it would sound without a full-time keyboard player. You may be able to make it work, but I'm not sure it would sound too great. Plus, the vocalist has to be really good. PG is one of the best singers, and if the vocalist f*cks up, the whole thing will be ruined. I'd suggest getting someone to play keys, and making sure you have a great singer.

Anyway will be tough since it's dependent on both piano and bass and a guitar solo, so we may omit the bass entirely or play it on piano.

If you do try this out, you could get/borrow a set of bass pedals. It won't sound the same but it will be better than nothing.

Anyway, good luck! If you guys do decide to do this, post some videos.

Give us about a year though...I just started working on it now. And I have a horrible voice but i will be singing unsure.gif accept I can do the odd Gabriel stuff pretty well so it's all good...I hope. But we're in search of a singer and perhaps if he plays piano the rest of us can lay off on tons. I'm just ambitious about this and want to see if it is possible to make it sound at least decent with a three piece. Three people on stage, no more.

That's a very ambitious project for a trio! But not impossible.

I would suggest that you look into using looper pedals and sequencers to fill in the gaps when your hands are busy elsewhere.

The other suggestion I have is to consider this as an "interpretation" as opposed to a note-for-note cover version. Look up the various interpretations of Dark Side of the Moon (Flaming Lips, Easy Dub All-Stars) for examples. Same songs, but clearly played in the style of the performers and not a direct cover of the original album.

Good luck!

QUOTE (ewblank @ Jul 6 2011, 12:01 PM)
The other suggestion I have is to consider this as an "interpretation" as opposed to a note-for-note cover version. Look up the various interpretations of Dark Side of the Moon (Flaming Lips, Easy Dub All-Stars) for examples. Same songs, but clearly played in the style of the performers and not a direct cover of the original album.

^ a great suggestion that I'll second

seeing as you'll be performing it as a trio, you're obviously not going the 'Genesis tribute' route (otherwise, you'd have five guys, white outfits, vintage instruments etc) - you won't need to be as faithful to the originals, as any diehard Genesis fan will be willing to cut you some slack as a trio for undertaking such an ambitious project

speaking of which: what's your target audience?

unless you're performing it at a 'Genesis Weekend', 99% of your audience won't be familiar with any of the material whatsoever

again - much less stress to 'nail it' album perfect

even as a huge Genesis fan, I for one would rather hear a trio who put their own stamp of creativity into a tight acoustic guitar/bass/conga version of 'Anyway', than one who is obviously struggling with triggers, samples, pedals and their own instruments as they fight their way through attempting an 'album faithful' version

good luck, whichever way you take it

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 6 2011, 01:15 PM)

seeing as you'll be performing it as a trio, you're obviously not going the 'Genesis tribute' route (otherwise, you'd have five guys, white outfits, vintage instruments etc) - you won't need to be as faithful to the originals, as any diehard Genesis fan will be willing to cut you some slack as a trio for undertaking such an ambitious project

unless you're performing it at a 'Genesis Weekend', 99% of your audience won't be familiar with any of the material whatsoever

even as a huge Genesis fan, I for one would rather hear a trio who put their own stamp of creativity into a tight acoustic guitar/bass/conga version of 'Anyway', than one who is obviously struggling with triggers, samples, pedals and their own instruments as they fight their way through attempting an 'album faithful' version

trink39.gif

The audience here is weird. They love music of all kinds but are only passionate about Latin stuff (a border town) however, they love theatrics or anything that can be considered fun to watch or something unexpected. We're going to make this our own interpretation if we do decide to do it and give it a more hard-rocking type of thing thrown in with really unexpected psychedelic and beautiful parts. We're going to exaggerate our talents and shred more than called for because they love to see people go crazy. I think we can make it fun and psychedelic and especially since there is not much to do in the town the people would like it as long as they get to hear crazy stuff and drink beer smile.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jul 6 2011, 01:28 PM)

trink39.gif

The audience here is weird. They love music of all kinds but are only passionate about Latin stuff (a border town) however, they love theatrics or anything that can be considered fun to watch or something unexpected. We're going to make this our own interpretation if we do decide to do it and give it a more hard-rocking type of thing thrown in with really unexpected psychedelic and beautiful parts. We're going to exaggerate our talents and shred more than called for because they love to see people go crazy. I think we can make it fun and psychedelic and especially since there is not much to do in the town the people would like it as long as they get to hear crazy stuff and drink beer smile.gif

well there you go

make it your own and be passionate about it

that always translates best!

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 6 2011, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jul 6 2011, 01:28 PM)

trink39.gif

well there you go

make it your own and be passionate about it

that always translates best!

We'll see how it goes and if not try supper's ready laugh.gif but we're just hoping to get our album first before covering epics and suites. I think the people here would enjoy that since it will be fresh. Thanks for the comments biggrin.gif