Strong contenders

Yes, I know you're tired of these threads, but i am trying to be creative by adding a new twist, and just bringing up some possibly fun discussion. If this thread doesn't work, that's cool, I just wanted to give it a shot.

And I know...best in the world means something different to everyone, but read on:

In this thread, post songs you feel a lot of people (or at least those who appreciate music) would have no problem accepting as "the best song of all time."

For example, a lot of people think Stairway To Heaven is the best song of all time. If you think so, feel free to explain hey you think it is a strong contender for best song in the world.

Here are my three top (though I have more that are about equal.)

Hemispheres-Rush

And You And I-Yes

Still Life-Van Der Graaf Generator

You don't have to post why you think what you do, but the point of this thread is discussion, so feel free to talk about your own or someone else's, and feel free to challenge it too wink.gif

Hemispheres: read my review for it.

And You And I: there is no other song in the world that just lifts you out of your body like this one. Sure, there is space rock and psychedelic, but this gem here is just a romantic and at the same time realistic journey across the entire world...even better, you take this journey with whoever your best friend may be...just them and you.

Still Life-perhaps the most depressing song I've ever heard, and the music is so perfectly executed. But the depressing thing is what makes it actually uplifting, ironically. Upon realizing that the immortality we seek actually leads us to still life, we accept that we will die one day, and begin to truly live soon. And this song just makes you realize that.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 1 2011, 11:27 PM)
And You And I: there is no other song in the world that just lifts you out of your body like this one. Sure, there is space rock and psychedelic, but this gem here is just a romantic and at the same time realistic journey across the entire world...even better, you take this journey with whoever your best friend may be...just them and you.

What about "To Be Over"? I know it's not really fair when running up against AYAI, but it's got dat outro that's just so majestic and beautiful, whereas AYAI has this amazing outro, then kinda falls flat in that last minute or so. To be honest, my favorite version of AYAI is probably on the Montreux DVD - Howe's quick slides in the ending are more audible.

And yes, I'm aware of the shitstorm that will come as a result of this post, but it's how I feel.

Also, see my post in the "songs you wish you wrote" thread for my top five. I didn't write an essay on them nor am I going to, but those are five of my favorites of all time. I'd have to put some serious work into making a definite top five list of all time, though...

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 1 2011, 10:44 PM)

What about "To Be Over"? I know it's not really fair when running up against AYAI, but it's got dat outro that's just so majestic and beautiful, whereas AYAI has this amazing outro, then kinda falls flat in that last minute or so. To be honest, my favorite version of AYAI is probably on the Montreux DVD - Howe's quick slides in the ending are more audible.

And yes, I'm aware of the shitstorm that will come as a result of this post, but it's how I feel.

Also, see my post in the "songs you wish you wrote" thread for my top five. I didn't write an essay on them nor am I going to, but those are five of my favorites of all time. I'd have to put some serious work into making a definite top five list of all time, though...

No shitstorm from me, but the ending of AYAI falling flat? Those are probably the best vocals I have ever heard, definitely the most hypnotizing.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 1 2011, 11:47 PM)

No shitstorm from me, but the ending of AYAI falling flat? Those are probably the best vocals I have ever heard, definitely the most hypnotizing.

Flat, in the way that it's majestic and, er, awesome, then Rick plays his descending piano lines, then the acoustic ending starts. I mean, I love it, it's sublime, but it's not the same as "To Be Over", whose ending stays majestic, then simply fades away.

All IMO, of course.

I can't write a review right now, but I'll say...

Roundabout

Time

The Pass

I didn't spend too much time on this. Those are just three songs I cant get enough of.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 1 2011, 11:12 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 1 2011, 11:47 PM)

Flat, in the way that it's majestic and, er, awesome, then Rick plays his descending piano lines, then the acoustic ending starts. I mean, I love it, it's sublime, but it's not the same as "To Be Over", whose ending stays majestic, then simply fades away.

All IMO, of course.

That's cool, and that's the point of the thread trink39.gif

I just have no one to talk to about music over here, so I decided to start this thread tongue.gif

And yeah, I haven't heard to be over in months ph34r.gif

I need to put it on my iPod or spin the cd if I can find it...

But I cheated:

And you and I had a lot of sentimental value to me.