The Flower Kings

The Owl

Suprised that this amazing band does not have a thread of their own as of yet....

so here it is...

I need more music by this band, right now I have "The Sum of No Evil", "The Rainmaker", and a compilation called "Scanning the Greenhouse"....

I just ordered the album "Paradox Hotel" from Amazon, cannot wait until it gets in!!!

The Band is fronted by Ronie Stolt, who most here will recognize from being the guitarist for the progressive supergroup Transatlantic.......... this guy is a genius, and has one of the greatest voices in modern prog...

If you have not checked any of this band out..... please do so........just AMAZING

What's interesting is that you have what are probably my two least favorite FK cds (Adam & Eve is their worst), so you're going to REALLY love when you start getting their immense back catalog.

Stardust We Are, Retropolis, Unfold The Future, and Flower Power are unstoppable. The title track to SWA is utterly brilliant

Yeah, you have two of their least best CDs, so nowhere to go but up!

Anyway, one of the best symphonic prog bands ever, w/o a doubt. They are awesome in every way possible. My favorites are Flower Power, Paradox Hotel and Stardust We Are.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 2 2012, 08:10 PM)
I only have the album Space Revolver, which I've heard is their best. Its good but I like stuff I've heard from the side projects better. Transatlantic, Agents of Mercy, Karmakanic, The Tangent are all excellent.

Got "Back In The World of Adventures". I've listened to it twice so far and its really good. I liked it better than Space Revolver.

Any suggestions for the next album that I should get? I'm thinking either Retropolis or Unfold The Future.

Retropolis and Unfold the Future are both awesome, but Flower Power is even more awesome. The nearly-one hour Garden of Dreams suite is the best thing they've ever done, and Flower Power's 2nd disc is full of gems as, too. Paradox Hotel and Stardust We Are are magnificent as well.

Really, you can't go wrong with most of their stuff, although I'd save Adam and Eve, The Rainmaker and The Sum of No Evil until you have everything else (if you make it that far).

Everything from Back In The World Of Adventures to Unfold The Future is pretty much awesome. That includes 7 albums, of which 3 are double albums.

Go in order from BITWOA. Get Retropolis, then Stardust We Are, then Flower Power, and so on.

I seriously envy you right now. Listening to these albums for the first time is such an incredible experience. There is SO MUCH MUSIC and so much diversity contained within those albums that it's unbelievable how prolific they were in such a short period of time.

The song Stardust We Are has to be heard to be believed. It's as uplifting as any song I've ever heard, and a massive musical journey. And that's not even counting Garden of Dreams, which probably tops Stardust We Are!

Anyone listen to "Banks of Eden" yet? I thought it was fantastic, it blows "Sum of No Evil" away...enjoyed all of it. Even the bonus tracks were pretty good, but Im glad they were seperate from the actual album...if you have not heard it yet, please do so.

This is a band a really want to get into but I can't get beyond the vocals. 062802puke_prv.gif

They are not the only "great" Prog band to suffer this fate with me. Camel is another.

I do want to mention however Karmakanic is brilliant! The best side project of any Flower King.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 24 2012, 07:27 AM)
Anyone listen to "Banks of Eden" yet? I thought it was fantastic, it blows "Sum of No Evil" away...enjoyed all of it. Even the bonus tracks were pretty good, but Im glad they were seperate from the actual album...if you have not heard it yet, please do so.

Yep, it's really, really good. Still digesting it fully, but I see it probably being a mid-tier TFK record. Better than stuff like The Rainmaker and The Sum of No Evil, but not nearly as awesome as Flower Power, Paradox Hotel, Stardust We Are or Space Revolver.

The new album is excellent. I really like the bonus tracks and I think they're on the same level as the album. My favorite tracks are Numbers, For The Love of Gold, and Fireghosts. It took me a while to get into the band but it was worth it in the end.