A compilation of every song Rush has played live

Nice job! I did find one discrepancy as The Trees was played (prior to Xanadu) on the Counterparts tour.

Also, (not to be picky but...), Broons Bane should be credited as a Rush song as it appears officially (although recorded live) on Exit Stage left. I think I read somewhere (maybe the book Chemistry?) that that song was written during the Permanent Waves sessions but did not fit with the rest of the material for that record so it was saved for a later release.

I cannot wait to see the documentary tomorrow!

WOW.....nice job of compiling all that! trink39.gif common001.gif yes.gif applaudit.gif

I know that took a lot of work and time to do. And yes, it is definitely worthy of a sticky.

And for all you naysayers in this thread, I give you a big fat wtf.gif

QUOTE (victor of fate @ Jun 9 2010, 09:26 AM)
Nice job!  I did find one discrepancy as The Trees was played (prior to Xanadu) on the Counterparts tour.

Also, (not to be picky but...), Broons Bane should be credited as a Rush song as it appears officially (although recorded live) on Exit Stage left.  I think I read somewhere (maybe the book Chemistry?) that that song was written during the Permanent Waves sessions but did not fit with the rest of the material for that record so it was saved for a later release.

I cannot wait to see the documentary tomorrow!

Agh, I will fix that when I get a chance.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to edit the post anymore. :/

The Trees has always been a "problem song" in setlists for me it seems. tongue.gif I think I'm one of the few Rush fans who dislikes it (I don't hate it, but it's my least favorite Rush "hit"). It always comes along and ruins things! laugh.gif

- First of all, I've messed up on it twice here just now tongue.gif

- Second, they dropped Between Sun & Moon (?!) for it, a song they had never played live before that tour!

- Third, they excluded it from the R30 DVD when I actually wanted to see it (it had those cool Beatles snippets by Alex on that tour)

- Fourth, they had to go and drop Circumstances (?!) for it, a song that had a cool new arrangement and hadn't been played since the 70's!

I did mention Broon's Bane, but how would you suggest I handle it, assuming there -is- a way for me to edit again? Should I list it on "Non-album songs" or what?

Edited by Blue Baby Dragon

You do mention it (Broon's Bane) as you said, so you could just leave it as is. And this is your list so it should be the way you want it.

However, if it were up to me, I'd list Exit Stage Left as an album and list only Broon's Bane under that album listing, as the rest of the album contains previous Rush compositions.

Either way-great job on this list! Very detailed. It's fun to analyze.

Some things I need to add (again, assuming there is some way for me to be able to edit that post again- can anyone help, please?) are songs that were performed before their tour.

There were a few mini-tours in-between tours, usually containing the setlist of the previous tour, but with a song or two replaced with a song from the upcoming album. I thought about listing the Moving Pictures Warm-Up tour, for example, as part of the Permanent Waves tour, and putting the "PeW" next to Tom Sawyer (one of the songs that was previewed). I'm not sure if that's the best way to handle it listwise or not, but they did this for quite a few albums actually.