Ged, bring back the Rick for Moving Pictures songs

Rick4001

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 13 2010, 11:02 AM)
Honestly I'm more prone to suggest that Neil bring back his acoustic bells (literally) and whistles, etc....as I don't think the electronic pads sound very convincing recreating those sounds.

+1.5

I'm sure the electronics are so much easier to lug around, but all these years later, and they still don't sounds as good as the real thing. Neil made dang good use of them too...especially listening to live stuff from '77-'80.

And it's not only with Neil. I remember seeing Frank Zappa back in 1988 and Ed Mann had a combination of real and electronic percussion. The electronic stuff sounded horrible to me.

QUOTE (Rick4001 @ Apr 13 2010, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (spitball @ Apr 13 2010, 08:10 AM)
QUOTE (Rick4001 @ Apr 13 2010, 08:03 AM)
QUOTE (spitball @ Apr 13 2010, 06:11 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:01 PM)
I think Ged's memory of the specifics could be off. He used the Rick on Tom Sawyer, as this is even recorded on film.

What do you mean it's recorded on film, are you talking about the video? Do you seriously believe that the video for Tom Sawyer (and the others from MP) is them actually recording those tracks on film?

Absolutely. I know a lip synch when I see one, and the Le Studio videos aren't. Do you seriously believe those are lip synched?

Of course the videos, Tom Sawyer and Limelight, are lip synched, but why would he use the Rick in them if he did not record those songs with the Rick?

Hmm, I guess we have to agree to disagree here. I don't buy that they are lip synched...

...Those are the actual album recordings being filmed at Le Studio. How anyone thinks they are lip synched is beyond me.

I suppose the term 'lip sync' is being used here to express 'not live'. Perhaps the video was taped in part during the recording of those songs, but the songs could not have been recorded in one take. I'm sure the video was spliced together for a seamless finished product and "synced" with the audio.

Yes, I think so. You can see the vocals being recorded later (darkness had settled outside, Geddy alone at the mic) and the guitar solo is in a separate studio using the black ES-345, while the main track is on the white ES-355. Everyting about the video says to me that we're seeing the actual recording of the song on film. The one thing is Geddy's interview quote where he makes the point that he used a Fender on that song. But I still trust my eyes and ears on this one more than Ged's memory on that particular point. I'll admit that is such a frivolous point, it's barely worth even an online forum discussion. smile.gif