The Notebook

Snowdog

I sat down with the wife last night to do my "chick flick" duty. I feel duty bound to watch a "chick flick" with her every so often and last night it was "The Notebook."

I absolutely loved this movie. It was a great story and even though I could see the plot twist coming a mile away (and literally 5 minutes into the movie) it was still very enjoyable. It had a very uplifting message and just left you with the warm fuzzies. Now, I'm not one to get all warm and fuzzy, so this movie really accomplished something.

If you haven't seen it, watch it. If you have seen it, what are your comments?

Haven't seen it...I guess I'm an exception, but I usually tend to avoid the chick flick genre.

I might give it a try. I like people named James. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 19 2005, 06:24 PM)
Haven't seen it...I guess I'm an exception, but I usually tend to avoid the chick flick genre.

I might give it a try. I like people named James. smile.gif

James Earl Jones...

James Hetfield.....

James and the Giant Peach...

jenna JAMESon?

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Mar 19 2005, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 19 2005, 06:24 PM)

I might give it a try.  I like people named James. smile.gif

James Earl Jones...

James Hetfield.....

James and the Giant Peach...

jenna JAMESon?

Umm...yeah...except Jenna.

tongue.gif

I'm sorry, but if (kicking and screaming) I get forced to watch this movie (by virtue of the fact that I make my wife watch comic book and horror and sci-fi movies against her will), I will never admit to liking it, even if it has a few redeeming qualities that make it potentially watchable, simply because I do not want to add to the existence of written documentation that may be used to coerce other unsuspecting men into watching this "film" against their will.

...and I commend you if you have any idea what I just said trink39.gif

(And I will still run screaming from this movie, no matter what you say) bolt.gif bolt.gif

Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggh!! comp26.gif

TRF is evil sometimes. Just spent an hour writing a cool response and the webpage refreshed itself (cause it knew that's what I wanted) right when I finished and erased my entire post.

I should know better, but it still sucks. Will try to resurrect what I can from my brain.

Here, let me help you out Bastille.

Hey ladies, check out the new pics in the "Geddy is HOT!" thread!

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=357

Ok, now that we've cleared the room a bit..

No guy likes "The Notebook".

But sometimes you take a film like The Notebook up to the video counter. With trembling hands you hand it over to the guy at the register and when he see the dour look on your face he gives you a small headbob of acknowledgement.

You pop this puppy in on a Saturday night. Yes, I know, I know. Think NASCAR or March Madness thoughts to keep the proper expression on your face while this sorry piece of romantic celluloid drips out of your TV screen.

Now, here's the key part. Listen carefully.

About two-thirds through the movie, when Noah goes out on the patio of the house he rebuilt himself for no other reason than to impress his old girlfriend who'd in real life would never give him the time of day again and sees her taking a suitcase out of the trunk of her car signifying that she chose to spend the rest of her life with him instead of the New York City millioinaire who wasn't aware of her affinity to paint landscapes and your wife/girlfriend turns to you with her eyes welled up and says, "Isn't the beautiful?"

Don't laugh.

Don't say, "You actually buy this @#$^%?"

Don't launch a throw pillow at the screen.

Instead, grit your teeth and say, "Yes, that's beautiful." and slug through the rest of it to the end credits.

If you've played all your cards right, you'll have the most fun in the romperroom you've had in months. For you guys who don't need this diversionary tactic, more power to you.

Just my 2 cents. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

cool.gif

Schro

Edited by Schro

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I'm sure some of the guys around here will benefit from your suggestions, schro. biggrin.gif

Myself...I'm too cynical to watch stuff like this and be moved...and then be FURTHER moved if the guy beside me goes along with it.

But in theory I think being supportive and NOT launching pillows at the screen is lovely and romantic. And if it gets you more fun in the "romperroom," then all the better. wink.gif

Despite my earlier diatribe, I honestly didn't mind, up until the sap-o-meter started redlining at the end.

But I know there's guys out there like Bastille who would rather chop wood for 10 hours in a 30 below snowstorm than sit through a chick-flick. Bump it up to 20 below and I'm right there with ya bud.