In defence of the peanut

Slime

Article from The National Post

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1262502

Tom Blackwell, National Post Published: Friday, February 06, 2009

As a friend tried to stop the attack, older, taunting students at a Vancouver Island school chased Aiden Broadhurst and pelted him with stones. It was a classic scene of schoolyard bullying, except for one unusual element: Aiden was targeted because of his life-threatening food allergies.

"These kids, they were telling Aiden and his friend they had peanuts," recalled Trevor Broadhurst, the 12-year-old's father. "They were just rocks, but my son didn't know. His friend and him were just freaking out."

It is an extreme example, but peanut bullying, which has been reported by other Canadian parents, is part of a more widespread reaction against society's restrictive response to the menace of serious food allergies.

One of my friends kids has that peanut allergy. He can't eat 'em or eat anything that has been in contact with anything peanut related.

You really have to take into consideration that this is his child he is looking out for and I would do the same. Being a protective parent I want absolutley nothing to harm my kids and to have one with an allergy to something that is in so much of the foods we eat, or at least in contact with the stuff that prepares the food we eat must be nerve wracking.

My whole life I have loved peanuts, and especially peanut butter, and more recently spicey, cajun, boiled peanuts...I could eat them by the ton and never had a problem with them.

A few years ago I was suffering terribly with allergies (hay fever and that kind) so I went to an allergist and he tested me to see what I was allergic too:

Cats

Ragweed

Peanuts

In that order....I had no idea, but it hasn't affected my diet at all, but it does kind of show that there are more people with the peanut allergy than you might think of...it might even be you.

Archived