Henna/Celtic Woading

So I've had some forced "down time" and have re-discovered my interest in trying my hand at Henna tattoos.

While doing some research I found the Celtic blue woading as well. (which fits neatly with my family heritage) I'm dying to get some supplies and victims! I mean canvases! unsure.gif

Now I'm trying to get myself organized and find the best place to buy powder, dye crystals, supplies, etc at decent prices.

Does anyone here do henna or body art? Any suggestions, photos, what-have-you?

QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Jul 23 2008, 06:03 PM)
So I've had some forced "down time" and have re-discovered my interest in trying my hand at Henna tattoos.

While doing some research I found the
Celtic blue woading as well. (which fits neatly with my family heritage) I'm dying to get some supplies and victims! I mean canvases! unsure.gif
Now I'm trying to get myself organized and find the best place to buy powder, dye crystals, supplies, etc at decent prices.

You can practice on me, so long as it's safe for the baby wub.gif

Starwest Botanicals is a great source for henna, woad, and cajeput oil. Their "black" henna is not really henna, it's powdered indigo/woad plant and is coarse enough that it should make into dye fairly easily. I'm sure you've already found this, but for other interested folks, here's some info on woad.

I've also had good luck using the darker shades of the "Rainbow" brand of henna for mehndi; Rainbow is available at places like Whole Foods and Wild Oats stores. Eucaluptus oil works ok if you can't find cajeput.

Good luck! Post pictures of your art!

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Jul 23 2008, 06:42 PM)

Celtic blue woading as well. (which fits neatly with my family heritage) I'm dying to get some supplies and victims! I mean canvases! unsure.gif

You know I'll be happy to do that; but you're a high risk so you'll have to check with your doctors to be sure what can and can't be used. The biggest issue I've found henna-ing you is they say that lavender eo is all you should use on preggers women. And I'm allergic to it. sad.gif

They have designs specifically for baby bellys and it's a tradition in Indian culture:

Henna Gallery: Pregnancy

I don't know Sister~Mine, I'd be really worried...

QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Jul 23 2008, 07:13 PM)

You know I'll be happy to do that; but you're a high risk so you'll have to check with your doctors to be sure what can and can't be used. The biggest issue I've found henna-ing you is they say that lavender eo is all you should use on preggers women. And I'm allergic to it. sad.gif

They have designs specifically for baby bellys and it's a tradition in Indian culture:

I don't know Sister~Mine, I'd be really worried...

Oh.... sad.gif

It doesn't say anything bad about Henna during pregnancy - but I don't know about the high-risk factor. I'll check with the doc at my next appointment.

Henna during pregnancy is an ancient practice and is soothing as well as calming. It is believed to help bring about an easy birth and healthy child.
Lawsonia Inermis or henna is a small bush that produces a red dye that has been used cosmetically and medicinally for over 9,000 years.

Many countries including Morocco and India have traditions of applying henna during the third trimester of pregnancy. Henna is believed to protect and bless the mother and child from any evil or malicious spirits that may be near during delivery.

The red coloring of the dye and protective images used in the patterns guard against the evil eye and are thought to protect the pair during the child's difficult passage into this world. Special attention is given to the hands and especially the feet as they are considered to be vulnerable connections to the world.

As henna is being infcorporated into modern culture, new traditions are being created. One new way women are using henna is to decorate the belly during pregnancy. This is a wonderful way to celebrate the body's physical changes during pregnancy and embrace this special time. Baby showers and henna parties can be combined into a day of pampering and relaxation for the new expectant mom, her friends, and family.

Well....if not, you could practice on Der Trom - I'm sure he wouldn't mind smile.gif He wants tat's but I told him none until I can get one too laugh.gif - and when we can afford it wink.gif

Edited by LakesideMaiden

How long do they last usually?

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Jul 23 2008, 07:58 PM)

Oh.... sad.gif 

It doesn't say anything bad about Henna during pregnancy - but I don't know about the high-risk factor.  I'll check with the doc at my next appointment.

Well....if not, you could practice on Der Trom - I'm sure he wouldn't mind smile.gif  He wants tat's but I told him none until I can get one too laugh.gif - and when we can afford it wink.gif

I'm always looking for more canvases. biggrin.gif

Lady Aurora [not a TRF'r] wants me to test drive her new tat ideas and of course do LOTS of woading!

The henna's last 1-3 weeks; but a lot depends on where it is, how long the paste stayed on; how you treat it after it comes off and, of course, your skin.

Oh and LSM; ask the doctors about hennaing your hair as well cause I have some recipes to do our hair as well.

It has to stay on your hair for 3-6 hours; depending on how intense a shade you want. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/Rhiannon_of_Rivendell/smileys/dance.gif