The TRF golfer's thread

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 25 2008, 08:32 AM)
I went and shot another couple buckets of balls at the driving range last night with the same two friends. My guy friend... he tries, lord knows he tries but he's not the best when it comes to direction. Anyway, he tried to help me with my swing last night. You know, I think I did better the first time because I had no idea what I was doing. I just swung the club and that was it. This time I found myself concentrating on my swing (how far back was I swinging the club, was I swinging fast enough, hard enough), my stance, was I keeping my eye on the ball, was I pivoting my hips at the end, was I keeping both feet on the ground before swinging... It really broke my concentration actually!

And I am now becoming more aware of golf terminology, namely, worm burners, shank, slice and hook.

Janie - its great to get an update and it sounds like you are getting into it.

At times, it can almost seem like like trying to fly a plane, with the mental checklist of all the things you have to try and remember for your swing. Try not to get bogged down with too much of it early on. I always find it helpful to focus on just starting the swing properly, and sort of get the momentum and weight shift smooth.

Ahh yes, the terminology is coming around I see...rofl3.gif the worm-burner is a good one but hope you don't have to use it too often.

Here's one that I made up a few years ago. The part of the club where the shaft meets the clubhead is called the hosel. If you should ever be so unlucky as to shank one close to the heel of the club, close to the hosel, I enjoy saying "hosel-tov".

Everyone needs to laugh off the bad shots!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jul 25 2008, 08:44 AM)
I went and shot another couple buckets of balls at the driving range last night with the same two friends. My guy friend... he tries, lord knows he tries but he's not the best when it comes to direction. Anyway, he tried to help me with my swing last night. You know, I think I did better the first time because I had no idea what I was doing. I just swung the club and that was it. This time I found myself concentrating on my swing (how far back was I swinging the club, was I swinging fast enough, hard enough), my stance, was I keeping my eye on the ball, was I pivoting my hips at the end, was I keeping both feet on the ground before swinging... It really broke my concentration actually!

And I am now becoming more aware of golf terminology, namely, worm burners, shank, slice and hook.

At times, it can almost seem like like trying to fly a plane, with the mental checklist of all the things you have to try and remember for your swing. Try not to get bogged down with too much of it early on. I always find it helpful to focus on just starting the swing properly, and sort of get the momentum and weight shift smooth.

Ahh yes, the terminology is coming around I see...rofl3.gif the worm-burner is a good one but hope you don't have to use it too often.

Here's one that I made up a few years ago. The part of the club where the shaft meets the clubhead is called the hosel. If you should ever be so unlucky as to shank one close to the heel of the club, close to the hosel, I enjoy saying "hosel-tov".

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif worm-burner! z7shysterical.gif oh thats great

So glad to hear youre getting into golf janie! Yea golf is so much mental that its so hard. Theres so many things you have to remember to do. But over time once you've practiced a ton it will all become Second Nature (woohoo Rush reference laugh.gif ) to you. With my swing now I rarely ever think of what I need to do in my swing when I start it. Its all just natural to me after hitting so many balls.

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 25 2008, 12:07 PM)

So glad to hear youre getting into golf janie! Yea golf is so much mental that its so hard. Theres so many things you have to remember to do. But over time once you've practiced a ton it will all become Second Nature (woohoo Rush reference laugh.gif ) to you. With my swing now I rarely ever think of what I need to do in my swing when I start it. Its all just natural to me after hitting so many balls.

I want you to know that I dedicated my best hit to you GAAC. It was quite a good hit too. smile.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 25 2008, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 25 2008, 12:07 PM)

I want you to know that I dedicated my best hit to you GAAC. It was quite a good hit too. smile.gif

ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

awwww thanks janie! laugh.gif Glad youre into this and seem to be enjoying it! wub.gif hug2.gif

We really need a golfing emoticon!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/jkr77/golfer.gif

or

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/jkr77/golfcart.gif

or

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/jkr77/golf.gif

We'd just need someone to 'TRF' 'em.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jul 25 2008, 02:50 PM)
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/jkr77/golfer.gif

or

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/jkr77/golfcart.gif

or

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/jkr77/golf.gif

We'd just need someone to 'TRF' 'em.

I like the last 2! Any other ones that you can find PTA?

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jul 25 2008, 01:03 PM)
I think this one is more in keeping with the TRF look and feel:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/jkr77/Golfingbanana.gif

If you put long, dark hair on it and show a golf ball scootering along the ground then that would be the perfect emoticon for me! And if you could show it cussing that would be even more perfect. And then ending with chucking the golf club away that'd be even more perfect!

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 25 2008, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jul 25 2008, 01:03 PM)
I think this one is more in keeping with the TRF look and feel:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/jkr77/Golfingbanana.gif

If you put long, dark hair on it and show a golf ball scootering along the ground then that would be the perfect emoticon for me! And if you could show it cussing that would be even more perfect. And then ending with chucking the golf club away that'd be even more perfect!

rofl3.gif oh thats everyone at the start! Hell even I do that a little bit now. Heh. I might be the only person who can hit a ball 2 feet from the pin from 180 yards out and be pissed at myself for making a bad swing but getting lucky with it. laugh.gif

BTW we NEED that emoticon PTA posted! ^

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 27 2008, 02:14 PM)
I shot a 4 over 76 today. Played horrible on the front but stills cored well.

BTW Janie is you see this make note that my short game (inside 125 yards) saved me nearly 10 strokes today at least.

I just played my 50th round of the season yesterday with Pops. I've been playing since i'm 12, so i guess 32 years... I must admit I'm playing as well as i ever have and my HC is down to about a 12..

My Father who is 77 yrs old is a monster on the links. He use to be a scratch shotter back in his day, he shot an 88 yesterday, but i beat him this time by 3 strokes biggrin.gif

If i can ever master my 2nd shot i'd be down to at least a 7 HC...

I have 3 sets of Clubs, but i prefer my Pings with my Taylor made Burner..

I've played of 100 different courses so far and the list will continue to grow!

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Aug 7 2008, 08:58 PM)
Bit the bullet and and picked up my new Callaway FT-5 Tour driver on Saturday. Cant wait to try it out on the weekend. smile.gif

When are we gonna get together and play?

QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 7 2008, 09:27 PM)
I just played my 50th round of the season yesterday with Pops. I've been playing since i'm 12, so i guess 32 years... I must admit I'm playing as well as i ever have and my HC is down to about a 12..

My Father who is 77 yrs old is a monster on the links. He use to be a scratch shotter back in his day, he shot an 88 yesterday, but i beat him this time by 3 strokes biggrin.gif

Dang dude only 50? I've played at least 175 rounds this year!

Great to hear you played with your dad! trink39.gif

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Aug 7 2008, 11:25 PM)

I played 48 of the 50 rounds with him...

If i could, I'd 500 rounds by now...

Golf can be so addicting, eh? cool.gif

QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 7 2008, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Aug 7 2008, 08:58 PM)
Bit the bullet and and picked up my new Callaway FT-5 Tour driver on Saturday.  Cant wait to try it out on the weekend.  smile.gif

When are we gonna get together and play?

Slacker - thats a great idea actually.

I play once a week very early (6:30am tee time) in order to get my work started around 9:30... However, I do get out occasionally on the weekends (like this weekend).

I usually play in NJ but I do play in NY, Connecticut, PA etc. Bottom line: I'll drive anywhere to golf (just like going to see Rush, eh?)

PM me and let me know where you play typically. Maybe we can work something out.

As for the handicap, its about a 9 right now, but it could be so much better if I had more consistent short game. I left about 9 strokes on the green last week en route to a 83. I'm talking about lipping out 4 foot putts which just kills me and takes me mentally out of the next hole.

I went to the driving range last night and hit a jumbo bucket with the new driver. Suuhh-weet! I am so pysched for Saturday

PTA

Edited by PassTheAmmunition

QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 8 2008, 12:52 AM)
QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Aug 7 2008, 11:25 PM)

I played 48 of the 50 rounds with him...

If i could, I'd 500 rounds by now...

Golf can be so addicting, eh? cool.gif

Oh yea! Yea I average about 300 or more rounds a year. I just go nuts during summertime with golfing! cool.gif

So I decided I like golf and plan on sticking with it. I'm going to take some lessons in a few weeks. I don't know how much time I'll get to play this fall. Autumn around here can either be extraordinarily nice or really windy and rainy. At any rate, I can't wait to learn a little more about golf!

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 26 2008, 03:16 PM)
So I decided I like golf and plan on sticking with it. I'm going to take some lessons in a few weeks. I don't know how much time I'll get to play this fall. Autumn around here can either be extraordinarily nice or really windy and rainy. At any rate, I can't wait to learn a little more about golf!

Janie -

Very cool. Its a great, addicting game. It can drive you absolutely crazy and frustrate you if you let it; the secret is not to let it - and to just have fun out on the course.

A few weeks back at my regular course, I was having a miserable front 9. I couldnt hit a long iron to save myself and it started dragging me down. At "the turn" (stopping at the clubhouse between the front and back 9) I ran into the clubhouse and grabbed 2 Heineken keg cans. I figured, sure its only 10am (3pm in London!) but I think I need some vitamin B (beer). And I'm not suggesting that alcohol is the right thing for everyone's golf game....but 3 holes later as I stood 65 yards from the green in the rough, I put my keg can down and put my third shot into the hole on a fly for a much needed birdie.

It didnt get any better from there, really, but it sure changed my mood and of course made me laugh and hoot and holler.

So, you will have fun out there if you dont always take it too seriously. I see some people out on the course that take it so seriously and get so irate I wonder why they even come out and play

PTA

Edited by PassTheAmmunition

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Aug 26 2008, 01:36 PM)

Janie -

Very cool. Its a great, addicting game. It can drive you absolutely crazy and frustrate you if you let it; the secret is not to let it - and to just have fun out on the course.

A few weeks back at my regular course, I was having a miserable front 9. I couldnt hit a long iron to save myself and it started dragging me down. At "the turn" (stopping at the clubhouse between the front and back 9) I ran into the clubhouse and grabbed 2 Heineken keg cans. I figured, sure its only 10am (3pm in London!) but I think I need some vitamin B (beer). And I'm not suggesting that alcohol is the right thing for everyone's golf game....but 3 holes later as I stood 65 yards from the green in the rough, I put my keg can down and put my third shot into the hold on a fly for a much needed birdie.

It didnt get any better from there, really, but it sure changed my mood and of course made me laugh and hoot and holler.

So, you will have fun out there if you dont always take it too seriously. I see some people out on the course that take it so seriously and get so irate I wonder why they even come out and play

PTA

Maybe I'll find a golf bag with a built-in flask holder. wink.gif I tend to get frustrated because of over-thinking when holding a golf club and I'm sure taking a few swigs here and there would help if not just put me in the best mood!

What better way to warm up on a cold, raining, windy fall day!? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 26 2008, 04:16 PM)

SWEET!!!! Thats awesome that youre a golfer now! trink39.gif

Im thinking of visiting a college near Seattle now just as an excuse to play a round with you! z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 26 2008, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Aug 26 2008, 01:36 PM)

Janie -

A few weeks back at my regular course, I was having a miserable front 9. I couldnt hit a long iron to save myself and it started dragging me down. At "the turn" (stopping at the clubhouse between the front and back 9) I ran into the clubhouse and grabbed 2 Heineken keg cans. I figured, sure its only 10am (3pm in London!) but I think I need some vitamin B (beer). And I'm not suggesting that alcohol is the right thing for everyone's golf game....but 3 holes later as I stood 65 yards from the green in the rough, I put my keg can down and put my third shot into the hold on a fly for a much needed birdie.

PTA

Maybe I'll find a golf bag with a built-in flask holder. wink.gif I tend to get frustrated because of over-thinking when holding a golf club and I'm sure taking a few swigs here and there would help if not just put me in the best mood!

What better way to warm up on a cold, raining, windy fall day!? laugh.gif

laugh.gif by smoking a cigarette! tongue.gif

Yea I have lots of fun on the course but I am dead serious about it at the same time. For me golf tryouts are the worst time to play. Everyones so damn serious. Their demeanor is Im going to cut your head off and give it back to you when we're done...10 years later.