Bone Bash 5

Moonraker

Ok, last night was a long fun night. I got a couple tickets from a work buddy of mine to go see Bone Bash 5. Bone Bash is a concert that a local radio station, 107.7 The Bone, puts on yearly to bring a bunch of bands together and have a fun all day concert type thing. The line up last night was Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Dokken, Joe Satriani, and Deep Purple headlining. The Bone btw is the same radio station that for the last 2 tours that Rush did in the bay area, they played EVERY single Rush song in alphabetical order.

Lets start my adventure off at work. I arrive at work at 9am and my buddy there, Paul, gives me an extra ticket he won from the radio station. They apparently were giving away extra tickets to a ton of people, including him and another guy at my work. I took Paul btw to his first Rush concert at the Shoreline Amphitheatre 2 months ago (already sad.gif ), and hes now a huge Rush fan. So anyway, I go through the rest of my work day which ends at 4pm. I hop on Bart, ride it for an hour and a half, and take a 10 minute bus ride to the concert.

When I get there, I find that I had missed Thin Lizzy as the opening act. I figured as much because the show started at 4:30, and I didnt get there until a little after 5:30. But I do hear something familiar as I'm walking into the venue, Blue Oyster Cult is on the stage 1022.gif. They are what I went to the concert for to begin with. First things first though, I gotta find Paul. So I scout the lawn section, looking for him or either of his 2 daughters who I remembered he brought with him. After combing about 1/3 the way through, there the daughters are sitting and watching the band, and at that exact moment Paul runs up yelling my name. We have to get close he says, I agree completely and we proceed to sneak down. At this point in the show, there is minimal security, which makes getting up and down a piece of cake. We sneak down to the front row of the section behind the orchestra. Probably section front row section 102.

Heres a pic to help demonstrate

http://www.chroniclepavilion.com/images/seating/map_small.gif

As we are getting down they begin ripping into the opening chords of Godzilla. Now I must say, BOC has been around a few years, and they though they may definatly look it on stage, they still play very fine. As they are going through Godzilla, the band steps away to allow for a couple minute bass solo with drum backup. I dunno, I have heard and seen the best drummer and bassist in the not so distant future, so I wasnt overly impressed with it. But there sure were a lot of fans there who were. Once they finish that, its Dont Fear The Reaper. I'm definatly feeling the groove on this song. I sing along to the whole thing and am having a great time. After that song is over though, that was the end of thier setlist. I am kinda bummed that I only got to check out 2 songs by them, but if I do, at least I got to see them close up.

Back to the lawn for the intermission. The next band up is Dokken I hear from Steven Seaweed's announcements (107.7 The Bone dj). Up at the lawn, I find the group that I am with is much larger then I originally thought. Theres 2 other Costco people there, a couple of thier friends, and one older friend of Paul's. We stay up there bsing a bit and having fun, waiting for Dokken to come on. By now its a little later in the day and a few more people are filing into their places.

Dokken gets on stage and starts rocking out, we all stay and hear a few songs up in the lawn, but quickly decide that if we wanna be able to hear anything good, we have to get down close. So we once again make our way down. For this trip down, Paul, one of the friends of another co-worker, Chris, and I head up close.

Getting to the section between 200's and 100's is a piece of cake, but we notice they have added security to the walkways between every 100 section. Ok, now its time to get a little inventive. Paul decides to get things started by just blatently walking through (wearing a purple jersey at this point), which prompts the usher to follow. Once Chris and I see this, we follow the usher, and duck into a couple empty seats about 7 rows in on our left. We are standing much closer now and can definatly hear the music a lot better so we are rocking out. Then all of the sudden, Paul pops up right next to us, minus the jersey. I guess he figured out a way passed the usher. Now that we are together again, we file into the walkway and move up closer.

As we move up closer, we find another usher is at the end of each walkway between the 100 section and orchestra seats. Thats fine, the usher doesnt seem to be sending anyone back, just keeping people from passing up close. We stand in the aisles rocking out a bit for a couple minutes to a Dokken song (dont know Dokken that well), and an usher comes through our walkway checking everyone for tickets. I sneakily slide into the seat on my right and high five the guy next to me to try to make it look like thats where Im supposed to be. It works for me, the usher goes right passed me, but unfortunatly she gets both Paul and Chris. They walk back, and Im standing here rocking out. After the end of that song though, who do I see popping up again, but Paul, hes very good at finding ways to sneak up. Once hes there, we move into the walkway and simply walk passed the usher with no problems at all and find our seat that we had for Blue Oyster Cult again. Still unoccupied and a great view.

More to come in part 2. I didnt originally intend for it to be this lengthy, but this was definatly a fun show that I want to remember.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 6 2004, 09:26 AM)
i love this shit!

Ha yes Davey. After reading your reviews of the VT shows, I became inspired to do all I could at a show. It definatly helps having a group of guys who are good at sneaking as well. The most fun though was during Deep Purple.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 6 2004, 12:30 PM)
i love this shit!

Ha yes Davey. After reading your reviews of the VT shows, I became inspired to do all I could at a show. It definatly helps having a group of guys who are good at sneaking as well. The most fun though was during Deep Purple.

i am honored tongue.gif yeah it gets boring after awhile just standing in the same spot. i like to maximize my evening when opportunities lay out there.

i love the part where ur buddy played the decoy nice!!! a true friend but u always have to have a meet-up plan when things go wrong. and always have a back-up ticket stub!!!!!!!

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 6 2004, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 6 2004, 12:30 PM)
i love this shit!

i am honored tongue.gif yeah it gets boring after awhile just standing in the same spot. i like to maximize my evening when opportunities lay out there.

i love the part where ur buddy played the decoy nice!!! a true friend but u always have to have a meet-up plan when things go wrong. and always have a back-up ticket stub!!!!!!!

Davey's got it down to a science! "The Daveyt Experience," right?

smile.gif