If you wanted to play drums but.....

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 21 2008, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 21 2008, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ May 21 2008, 07:01 PM)
Here's the situation.  I've always wanted to play drums, but because of my living quarters, it's impossible.  I live in a 3 family house and on the middle floor.  I don't want to play unless there acoustic drums.
Any ideas?  Should I give up the dream until I own my own garage and able to house the drums?  Maybe I should stick with the guitar or maybe bass?

Get the acoustic chip off of your shoulder and get an electronic set. You'd be amazed at how good they are nowadays, plus if you get a set with the mesh heads, they even feel like acoustic drums. You can always get an acoustic set if your living situation changes. Don't give up your dream due to any notions/prejudices you may have where electronic drums are concerned. At least go down to your local music store and try them.

I play the electronic drums whenever I'm at my local music store, but no matter how good they are, it doesn't feel the same.

I guess I'm a little late on this thread (pardon me if i posted and forgot)

I am in the same boat. I just moved into a high-rise in the city. Electronics are the only option (I'm worried about the E-kick drum noise heard below)

It will take a while to get used to the electronics. It isn't the same, but they feel good to play on, even a starter kit like the TD-3 I have by Roland. I am doing a 4th of july classic rock show on it again, as a matter of fact. 5 hours of nothing but electronic drums. It's not that bad. I'm selling my acoustic set right now, too.

I agree with Jack Aubrey. Embrace the e-kits!!

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jun 1 2008, 09:04 PM)
QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 1 2008, 12:01 AM)
Nobody's mentioned the Alesis USBpro drumkit.  Yeah, yeah, the DM5pro is sucky and cheap-feeling, and its drum module isn't the greatest.

Alesis

That's why nobody has mentioned it. tongue.gif

The only thing I would consider buying from Alesis is the Trigger iO (the module on the USB Pro kit) because it's a cheap module that could be used for triggering an acoustic kit.

Even if I did trigger my drums (and I'm about as anti-triggering as it gets), I'd most likely go with at least a Roland TD-12 module; but that's another discussion entirely.

I hate triggering, too. I was forced to do it in my last band and it was a nightmare. They don't work if you're a drummer like me who's into dynamics, ghost notes, and all that. They force you to play simple with no dynamics, kinda like Peter Criss. ph34r.gif

I will tell you the only way to go regarding modules is ROLAND ROLAND ROLAND, though. They have done their homework to say the least.

A TD-8 is a phenominal module if you don't have the coin for a TD-12. The TD-8 actually has more sounds and is made for live shows. Laid out extremely well...