Guitar for a child

Angua

this may be a little late, but besides the smaller scale I would also recommend a nylon string guitar until a kid can get their calluses built up a bit and gain some finger strength. nylon is definitely easier on new fingers...

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 27 2008, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 24 2008, 08:40 AM)
Are you looking specifically for an electric or acoustic guitar?

The best idea is probably to just go down to your local guitar store and let him sit with a few guitars and just strum them. They do make both 1/2 and 3/4 size guitars in both electric and acoustic so I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

Good luck.

That's definitely the approach I would take. Go to Guitar Center and sit him down with all the different 1/2 and 3/4 scale models and see what he seems to feel comfortable with. Remember that while it's a good idea not to spend big on his first instrument, getting him a piece of junk will probably end his musical journey before it has a chance to begin...

Here's a good, economical (99 bucks) 3/4 scale chinese strat which I found at musiciansfriend.com:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/2/1/8/268218.jpg

Squier by Fender Mini Strat Electric Guitar Features:

* Small-scale neck

* (20-3/4")

* Three single-coil electronic pickups

* Master volume and tone controls

* Maple C-shaped neck

* Rosewood fretboard

* 20 medium frets

* Hard-tail 6-saddle bridge

Get your little rocker rollin' with the real thing.

Here's a $47 amp to go with it:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/6/3/8/437638.jpg

If he decides not to keep playing you can sell this stuff on Craigslist (at minimal loss) to a kid who really wants to play.

My little brother has a blue one of those. He keeps asking me to teach him "The Body Electric." He makes an older sibling proud.

QUOTE (darrenhigh @ Apr 12 2008, 06:57 PM)
this may be a little late, but besides the smaller scale I would also recommend a nylon string guitar until a kid can get their calluses built up a bit and gain some finger strength. nylon is definitely easier on new fingers...

I would have preferred a nylon string for him, but he was adamant that it was an electric guitar that he wanted and this way it stops him killing his dad's guitar. smile.gif He's not going to be playing it too hard just yet.