question on Spirit of the Radio intro

Holy bejeezus! For years I've been trying to hammer-on the B string DE part, thinking that's what Alex did.... and I never could get it up to speed. Ten seconds looking at the video and b-bam, I'm playing it smoother and faster than I ever did.

Lol, great perk for a lousy day. Thanks for the link.

hahaha, i saw this thread and it reminded me, we were taking a break at practice today, so we got a pizza and i brought over R30 to show our drummer, and then spirit of the radio came on, and he was blown away. then when his roomate came home, we showed him our two songs that we did in one day, and then i was like "check this one out!" and i busted out the intro to SOTR and he was like "oh my god thats amazing!" haha

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Feb 21 2008, 10:29 PM)
Holy bejeezus!  For years I've been trying to hammer-on the B string DE part, thinking that's what Alex did.... and I never could get it up to speed.  Ten seconds looking at the video and b-bam, I'm playing it smoother and faster than I ever did. 

Lol, great perk for a lousy day.  Thanks for the link.

Same here. I haven't seen the video, but when I learned it, I listened to it at half speed not just to get the notes, but to try and figure out which ones were picked and which ones were hammered-on or pulled-off from the attack sound. This is what I came up with - it seemed to have the best "flow":

P-Pick

O-Pull-off

H-Hammer-on

--P O P H P O P H P O P H P O O P H

E-2-0-----5-0-----2-0-----4-2-0-----

B-----3-5-----3-5-----3-5-------3-5-

Guess I was wrong for 20 years, but I'm too old to change smile.gif. What does he say in the video (I don't want to pay $10 to find out how wrong I am smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif?

Well this is the way I was playing before(and how I'll play it until I can get it up to speed otherwise):

E-2-0------5-0-----2-0------5-3-0-----

B------3-0-----3-0------3-0--------3-0

By not picking up to the "E" and instead doing a pull off to the open "B" I simplified it. The real value in the video (to me) was seeing the different kinds of open chords and sus chords and how he approaches the solo... Its valuable not because I'm playing it his way, but because I opened myself up to a new perspective of looking at the guitar.

To PW: youre right except instead of hammering up to the 5th fret on the B string you pick the open E. Not that it matters, this is one instance where I think Roc is right and your way is more than fine.

Not that it matters much; but, from a theoretical perspective, Rush (a la Alex) very interesting...

Corrrect me if I'm wrong; but the SoR intro is derived from the last 5 notes of an asending Amaj scale...

The piece itself, as I see it, is written in the key of D; however, the majority of the tune (much of the bass line and the guitar intro as well) appears to dance around components of A, the dominant.

I'm not a guitarist by any means, but I know genius when I hear/see it.

Alex 'qualifies' wink.gif

QUOTE (Maestro @ Feb 22 2008, 12:31 PM)
Not that it matters much; but, from a theoretical perspective, Rush (a la Alex) very interesting...

Corrrect me if I'm wrong; but the SoR intro is derived from the last 5 notes of an asending Amaj scale...

The piece itself, as I see it, is written in the key of D; however, the majority of the tune (much of the bass line and the guitar intro as well) appears to dance around components of A, the dominant.

I'm not a guitarist by any means, but I know genius when I hear/see it.

Alex 'qualifies' wink.gif

Okay, correction incoming. The song is in the key of E, but with a dominant 7th (D) as is typical in rock. Main verse chord progression:

E B E/g# A B E...

"Invisible airwaves" section:

E D/f# E/g# D/f# E

The key of D doesn't use G# a lot. Also, as the song doesn't change keys anywhere, notice what the last chord of the song is: E.

But yeah, I agree, Alex is a genius anyway wink.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 22 2008, 10:46 AM)
If the video helped you sort it out great but I still feel as I was just saying in another thread that people rely too much on how Alex does it. If it sounds good and you're doing it different why worry? Play it how you like, seriously... Nobody would even notice in a live situation.

goodpost.gif Innovator talk biggrin.gif