Question about McAfee?

deadwing2112

This will constantly pop up won't end!

It says:

McAfee Personal Firewall Plus

Application Wants to Access the Internet

The application qqmcot.exe is requesting outbound access to the Internet. Do you want to grant it outbound access?

Path: C:/WINDOWS/system32/qqmcot.exe

(and I have two options)

Grant Outbound Access

or Block All Access

Either one I pick, it will just pop up again.

That program keeps trying to access the internet and thats why it keeps popping up. The firewall is doing exactly what its supposed to do.

I do not know what program is associated with qqmcot.exe and a google search turned up no results for me so I would be very cautious about what this file is and what its doing. I would keep denying access to the internet until I figured out what it was and why its trying to access the internet.

Maybe one of the other tech gurus on the forum is familiar with it.

I recommend running virus and spyware scans on your pc.

Spybot and adware are free spyware scanners and trend micro has a free online virus scanner. I would run these because its possible that this is a malware file and mcafee doesn't have a definition for it.

I am certain this isn't a windows system file for xp and the fact that its in the system32 folder makes me cautious. What version of windows are you running?

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jan 27 2008, 12:15 AM)
I went looking for the file, and it wasn't in the folder it claimed it to be in. Also before I entered that folder and said I shouldn't modify the contents of this folder.

I'm using Windows XP.

No you shouldn't modify that folder unless you really know what your doing.

I think you probably can't see it because its hidden but it probably is in the system32 folder.

Go to tools->folder options->view->show hidden files

Then go check and see if the file is there.

I would have a friend that knows about computers look at it for you and run some scans to see if its detected as spyware, a trojan or some other form of malware. It might be nothing but I am sure its not part of the operating system so you should find out what it is before you let it have access to the internet. It could be a key logger or some other malicious software.

Archived