Good news for New Jersey squirrel eaters

owlswing

We have several hazel nut trees in our yard. The squirrels are busy storing up for the winter. I watch them every day digging their holes and storing the nuts for future use.

What I want to know is how they remember where they buried their nuts.

From my understanding, they only recover a small percentage of their own buried nuts, so the trick, I guess, is to bury a lot of them.

My dog buries things all over the yard, then comes across them weeks or months later.

The thing is that we have a multitude of hazel nut trees in the making all of the place. Looks like most of what they bury they don't recover.

• Like 2

We have several hazel nut trees in our yard. The squirrels are busy storing up for the winter. I watch them every day digging their holes and storing the nuts for future use.

What I want to know is how they remember where they buried their nuts.

From my understanding, they only recover a small percentage of their own buried nuts, so the trick, I guess, is to bury a lot of them.

My dog buries things all over the yard, then comes across them weeks or months later.

The thing is that we have a multitude of hazel nut trees in the making all of the place. Looks like most of what they bury they don't recover.

I think this is a habitual reaction of the animals who bury their food. The propagation of the plants that feed them...[Captain Obvious, here...]

pcG2tzV.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1