Top 5 Sci-fi films of all time

war2112

My top 10 (5 isn't enough)biggrin.gif

---------------

Star Wars (Original Trilogy, but I have high hopes for Episode 3)

Aliens

The Matrix/Matrix Reloaded (Revelations sucked)

Back to the Future Trilogy

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

E.T.

Donnie Darko

Star Trek I-VI/Generations

Ghostbusters I and II

Terminator II

...and a close runner up: Lost In Space!

Edited by progrush2112

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Apr 30 2005, 07:46 PM)

Do you really think that Return of the Jedi (with those obnoxious Ewoks) was better than Attack of the Clones?

Well, all of mine have been taken, so I'll just throw these into the mix:

Mars Attacks (Tim Burton rules!)

Pitch Black (Vin Diesel at his "best")

War of the Worlds (one of my earliest childhood film memories)

Back to the Future (still a great flick, even after watching it eight million times on TBS)

Fantastic Voyage (Raquel Welch.....yummy)

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ May 1 2005, 03:31 AM)
Yeah, RotJ beats TPM for me.

Actually it does for me too. I just rented and watched TPM this morning as the last time I saw it was when it came out in theaters years ago. While RotJ was fairly mediocre, the great scenes did outweigh the bad ones. And yes, the Ewoks were annoying, but Jar-Jar was positively grating.

However, AotC was, in my opinion, still pretty good.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned Star Trek: First Contact yet. I think it's easily the best of all TNG movies.

I also have to say Blade Runner, Terminator, The Matrix, Back to the Future and Woody Allen's Sleeper. Hilarious movie! laugh.gif

So hard to choose just five, but I was able to manage a little bit.

My top five, in no particular order...

Back To The Future/Back To The Future Part II (These were the best. The third one didn't quite live up to what the previous two did.)

Alien/Aliens (These were also the best of its series. The next two wouldn't be nearly as good.)

Predator (A great scene when Arnold Schwarzenegger lifts up the truck!)

Terminator II (A great plot, great special effects, and overall a great movie. Only bad part was the annoying kid!)

Star Wars: Episode V (Spawned the famous line [Do I really need to say it?] Also had a good plot. Much better than Return Of The Jedi, which had tales of incest. 062802puke_prv.gif )

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ May 1 2005, 01:31 AM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 1 2005, 01:15 AM)
QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Apr 30 2005, 07:46 PM)

Do you really think that Return of the Jedi (with those obnoxious Ewoks) was better than Attack of the Clones?

Personally, I don't think that the Ewoks were anything like as annoying as Jar Jar Binks

In addition, you have the incredible attack on the Death Star and the Death of Dark Vader and you don't have the annoying Jake Lloyd.

Yeah, RotJ beats TPM for me.

Agreed. Ewoks kick some ass in RotJ. Jar Jar doesn't do anything, except annoying the hell out of people.

And the Death Star 2 battle is amazing. Plus Darth gives his own life to save his son (there was good in him after all!).

The only good thing about TPM was Darth Maul and his double sided lightsaber. And the Podrace.

Edit: The battles in AotC were great. The plot could've been way better.

Edited by progrush2112

Just thought of one that seems to be greatly negelcted by all and sundry - Contact. A rare beast these days - an SF film where the SFX are there to serve the story rather the story being something to justify the SFX (are you blushing Dean Devlin?)

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ May 3 2005, 11:41 AM)
Just thought of one that seems to be greatly negelcted by all and sundry - Contact. A rare beast these days - an SF film where the SFX are there to serve the story rather the story being something to justify the SFX (are you blushing Dean Devlin?)

Yes, Contact was very good. I admire Carl Sagan and wished he would have lived to see this make it to the big screen. I think he would have been proud of the execution of his story.