Help!

The Rocinante

I don't use that program but some programs, after they install, will put an "uninstll.exe" file (or similar) in the same folder where the program was installed. Look in your C drive > Program Files > Bear Share >

Look for an EXE file that is something like Unn........blah blah. Double click it.

So, you found the "Uninstall.exe" file, right? And it won't run because of a missing file, right?

If it say's it can't find the "install.log" file, then just create one.

Open Notepad, save a blank document as "install.log". Make sure to choose 'all programs' from the program type dropdown list, or it will save the file as a .txt file. You don't want this. You need it to have the file extension of .log

Then save it in the Bear Share folder. See what happens!

My computer keeps shutting down all of a sudden.

Any reason why it may be doing this? confused13.gif

I can't run a Disc Cleanup, or Restore it to a different date, the computer will just shut down as soon as any type of scan begins. comp26.gif

HELP sad.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Oct 18 2006, 12:24 PM)
Any reason why it may be doing this? confused13.gif

I can't run a Disc Cleanup, or Restore it to a different date, the computer will just shut down as soon as any type of scan begins. comp26.gif

HELP sad.gif

One of three things.

1. Overheating of CPU (dust buildup in the case - open it up and use compressed air to clean it out)

2. Bad memory (replace memory sticks or do a memory test to see if that is the case)

3. Virus (run virus scan at boot instead of within windows).

I bet #1.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Oct 18 2006, 12:27 PM)
QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Oct 18 2006, 12:24 PM)
Any reason why it may be doing this?  confused13.gif

I can't run a Disc Cleanup, or Restore it to a different date, the computer will just shut down as soon as any type of scan begins.  comp26.gif

HELP  sad.gif

One of three things.

1. Overheating of CPU (dust buildup in the case - open it up and use compressed air to clean it out)

2. Bad memory (replace memory sticks or do a memory test to see if that is the case)

3. Virus (run virus scan at boot instead of within windows).

I bet #1.

1. I blew out the case just last week with that canned air stuff, that didn't seem to make much of an improvement unsure.gif

2. How do I run a memory test?

3. How would I go about running a virus scan at boot and not within Windows?

Thanks for your help smile.gif

The best way to remove a PSW Trojan Virus is download an anti-virus program (AVG Antivirus is what I use, and it's FREE) and then run it as soon as all installation is complete. Are you not running an antivirus program now?

AVG Antivirus can be found here.

PSW Trojan is a nasty password-stealing virus so it is very important to get rid of it. Since it's been around a while, it should be no problem for any antivirus to get rid of it.

QUOTE (biggoodie @ Oct 31 2006, 07:30 AM)
The best way to remove a PSW Trojan Virus is download an anti-virus program (AVG Antivirus is what I use, and it's FREE) and then run it as soon as all installation is complete. Are you not running an antivirus program now?

PSW Trojan is a nasty password-stealing virus so it is very important to get rid of it. Since it's been around a while, it should be no problem for any antivirus to get rid of it.

Thanks smile.gif

I have Norton Anti-Virus, and it says it has deleted it, but a Warning still keeps popping up that it is still on my system unsure.gif

Can I have Norton and AVG at the same time on my computer, or do I have to uninstall Norton before downloading this new one? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Oct 31 2006, 09:09 AM)
Can I have Norton and AVG at the same time on my computer, or do I have to uninstall Norton before downloading this new one? confused13.gif

You can have as many as you want. But try not to let them take over all the power from your machine....because they will.

I personally don't let any run unless I ask them to.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Oct 31 2006, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Oct 31 2006, 09:09 AM)
Can I have Norton and AVG at the same time on my computer, or do I have to uninstall Norton before downloading this new one?  confused13.gif

You can have as many as you want. But try not to let them take over all the power from your machine....because they will.

I personally don't let any run unless I ask them to.

Thanks trink39.gif

If I have any troubles, I'll be back smile.gif

I have downloaded the AVG Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus things..

The spyware one caught 189 different things unsure.gif

Should I uninstall my Norton Anti-virus? confused13.gif

This AVG one seems to be ALOT better yes.gif

Absolutely!

Uninstall that Norton Antivirus, because apart from it being a slow, unweildy memory and resource hog, Symantec has been caught doing some unsavory things regarding security in Win XP as of late.

I have used AVG Antivirus ever since it has been available, and have found it to be a very good piece of software. And it's FREE!

Like you, I used to worship Norton Antivirus. But when I paid Symantec $30 over the net to keep my virus definitions updated and they took my money without giving me anything, I dumped them like an old girlfriend. One of the best moves I ever made.

QUOTE (biggoodie @ Nov 3 2006, 07:10 AM)
Absolutely!

Uninstall that Norton Antivirus, because apart from it being a slow, unweildy memory and resource hog, Symantec has been caught doing some unsavory things regarding security in Win XP as of late.
I have used AVG Antivirus ever since it has been available, and have found it to be a very good piece of software. And it's FREE!

Like you, I used to worship Norton Antivirus. But when I paid Symantec $30 over the net to keep my virus definitions updated and they took my money without giving me anything, I dumped them like an old girlfriend. One of the best moves I ever made.

I have uninstalled NAV and have the Free AVG downloaded now.

AVG is saying it expires in 10 days unsure.gif

Do I just go back to their website and download a newer version after this expires?

Or do I have to purchase it? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Nov 17 2006, 08:56 AM)
Absolutely!

I have used AVG Antivirus ever since it has been available, and have found it to be a very good piece of software.  And it's FREE!

Like you, I used to worship Norton Antivirus. But when I paid Symantec $30 over the net to keep my virus definitions updated and they took my money without giving me anything, I dumped them like an old girlfriend.  One of the best moves I ever made.

Do I just go back to their website and download a newer version after this expires?

I think you might have downloaded the Full Version, instead of the 'Free' one. The full version is free to download but has an expiration date and will stop working after that, unless you purchase it.

The Free version never expires but also doesn't have all the options of the full version.

I have the free one and it works very well.

Suggestion: Uninstall AVG. Go back to their site and download the Free version. Install that one.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Nov 17 2006, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Nov 17 2006, 08:56 AM)
Absolutely!

I have used AVG Antivirus ever since it has been available, and have found it to be a very good piece of software.  And it's FREE!

Like you, I used to worship Norton Antivirus. But when I paid Symantec $30 over the net to keep my virus definitions updated and they took my money without giving me anything, I dumped them like an old girlfriend.  One of the best moves I ever made.

I think you might have downloaded the Full Version, instead of the 'Free' one. The full version is free to download but has an expiration date and will stop working after that, unless you purchase it.

The Free version never expires but also doesn't have all the options of the full version.

I have the free one and it works very well.

Suggestion: Uninstall AVG. Go back to their site and download the Free version. Install that one.

This is what I downloaded AVG

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 17 2006, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Nov 17 2006, 03:25 PM)
Umm, that link does not go anywhere. biggrin.gif

I think she meant to post:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Ah, I see the typo. I just have no patience for bad urls anymore I guess.

Anyhow, not sure why that version says it will expire. I have the version 7.5.428 , which is just 1 release behind yours.

Did you mabey download the "Commercial Version"?

Archived