need HELP!!!!!

mortkort

Ok here it goes...

i was thinking to buy new effects to my guitar, but here is the thing, should i buy the stomp boxes Alex used on MP or should i buy the Line 6 PODXT Live Pedal, can i get the sound Alex has on MP whit that? i need help here guys! help me!!!

thanks!!

ALRIGHT ALREADY!!!! biggrin.gif

The PODXT is a good unit. Will you sound like Alex using it....somewhat. Those types of pedals create models of popular amps (amps that Alex used) but they are still just models. It is my opinion that good tone comes from the interaction between the guitarist, his volume knob, and the electricity that is running through the amp he is using. But with those models and the built in effects, yes. You will be able to come close to the sound that Alex gets. I strongly suggest that you run the pedal through an all tube amp or a tube power amp to take the digital edge of the signal. You have to remember that effects are only a small percentage of where the tone comes from. The foundation of any guitarists tone is his amp. Your guitar and amp should create a certain amount of distortion that appeals to you and then your effects should build upon that tone IMO. Using amp models with a tube amp is going to sound better than with a Solid State amp IMO so go all tube.

I can recommend some low priced, small amps if you want. Check out the Peavey Classic series, the Traynor stuff as well as the Fender line of amps.

It sounds to me like the POD will be the best solution for you. One stop shopping.

Edited by rushfanNlv

The POD simulates tube behavior and you don't need to go through a tube amp. I have used several Line 6 products professionally and they do sound quite remarkable. In fact the version of Jacob's Ladder I did (available in my signature) is all POD. One of my co-workers has the whole deal, a Variax, POD XT Live, Bass POD and one of their AX2 amps. We played a gig where he used the Variax set to a Les Paul and the amp was set to a Boogie and the tone was unbelievable. He was even getting rich feedback. The amp genuinely seemed to respond as a tube amp would.

I used his POD XT Live yesterday during a session and went directly into the recording console. I played my Les Paul and we were looking for something industrial sound with lots of crunch. We found a patch quickly and laid down some tasty tracks.

Love the Line 6 stuff.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 3 2006, 12:57 PM)
The POD simulates tube behavior and you don't need to go through a tube amp. I have used several Line 6 products professionally and they do sound quite remarkable. In fact the version of Jacob's Ladder I did (available in my signature) is all POD. One of my co-workers has the whole deal, a Variax, POD XT Live, Bass POD and one of their AX2 amps. We played a gig where he used the Variax set to a Les Paul and the amp was set to a Boogie and the tone was unbelievable. He was even getting rich feedback. The amp genuinely seemed to respond as a tube amp would.

I used his POD XT Live yesterday during a session and went directly into the recording console. I played my Les Paul and we were looking for something industrial sound with lots of crunch. We found a patch quickly and laid down some tasty tracks.

Love the Line 6 stuff.

Thanks! then i don't have to worry about buying a new amp, and i have listend to your cover og Jacob's Ladder, it's really good!

so after what i have been reading here, the line six pedal whould be good buy and i can get the sound that Alex has on MP whit that?

I think you will get close but obviously, not the exact same sound Alex gets on MP. The line 6 stuff is pretty damn good a simulating tube amps, as CygnusX-1Bk2 stated, but nothing beats the real thing. I use my volume knob a lot to change the way my guitar sounds throughout a song and the Line 6 units that I have experienced don't clean up like a tube amp will. But then again, you could just set up a different patch with the distortion rolled back to simulate the same thing......simulate. wink.gif

I read the reviews on your amp and they were mixed. I suggest running the POD through the clean channel with the EQ set flat. Let the POD's EQ do it's job.

Good luck.

thanks for the info! maybe i should buy the real things, the line 6 pedal cost like $810 here in norway. i think it would be smarter to buy the real things he uses on MP

thanks for the info! maybe i should buy the real things, the line 6 pedal cost like $810 here in norway. i think it would be smarter to buy the real things he uses on MP

You can come close. It's not going to be dead on, and there are limitations as far as delay settings, but you can approximate some of Alex's tones fairly closely.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 3 2006, 02:01 PM)
You can come close. It's not going to be dead on, and there are limitations as far as delay settings, but you can approximate some of Alex's tones fairly closely.

There is the old "tone comes from the fingers" argument too. I could step back in time to 1984 and play through Alex's stage rig and still not sound exaclty the same.

Hey mortkort, do yourself a favor and emulate the ESL tone instead of the MP tone. With all the studio stuff that went on during that album, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to nail the exact tone.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Aug 3 2006, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 3 2006, 02:01 PM)

There is the old "tone comes from the fingers" argument too. I could step back in time to 1984 and play through Alex's stage rig and still not sound exaclty the same.

Hey mortkort, do yourself a favor and emulate the ESL tone instead of the MP tone. With all the studio stuff that went on during that album, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to nail the exact tone.

Thanks, I shall do that, how much money would i spend on buying the pedals he used on ESL? Is it around $500 or something?