Stephen King

thestand

I just saw the stupidiest most hilariously bad stephen King film of all time, hands down...

Sleepwalkers...

The most ludicrous "creatures" of all time too, that could only be killed by tabby cats, when they leapt on them and the things began smoking. Like instead of a silver bullet you just get your kitten and throw it at the thing. They looked like f*cked up cats themselves actually. No wonder he didn't bother turning it into an actual book. Daft.

There was couple of funny bits like when the nosy teacher gets his hand bitten off and the King cameo where Steve exchanges lines with Clive Barker. Also Ron pearlman was good for the short time he was in it. Probably felt relieved that this time someone else had to wear the Beauty and the Beast outfits...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 6 2007, 02:39 AM)
I just saw the stupidiest most hilariously bad stephen King film of all time, hands down...

Sleepwalkers...

The most ludicrous "creatures" of all time too, that could only be killed by tabby cats, when they leapt on them and the things began smoking. Like instead of a silver bullet you just get your kitten and throw it at the thing. They looked like f*cked up cats themselves actually. No wonder he didn't bother turning it into an actual book. Daft.

There was couple of funny bits like when the nosy teacher gets his hand bitten off and the King cameo where Steve exchanges lines with Clive Barker. Also Ron pearlman was good for the short time he was in it. Probably felt relieved that this time someone else had to wear the Beauty and the Beast outfits...

Have you ever seen Fear of the Dark? That movie is horrible. laugh.gif

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Apr 6 2007, 01:49 PM)

Sleepwalkers...

Is that a Stephen King one?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 6 2007, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Apr 6 2007, 01:49 PM)

Sleepwalkers...

Is that a Stephen King one?

unsure.gif

Nope, its this pile of crap.

Fear of the Dark!!

I thought Maximum Overdrive was pretty stupid too.

IT started out as a pretty good movie, but it started to go downhill towards the second part.

And the young actor who played the kid with the speech impediment just over-dramatized his role to the point of annoyance.

I've found that most King movies/miniseries turn out pretty bad. The two exceptions being "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" which I thought had probably some of the best book-to-screen adaptations ever, and "Kingdom Hospital" which I'm really not sure why I liked.

"The Stand" was pretty amazingly bad, and let's not even start on "Dreamcatcher." "The Shining" I guess was okay. They had so much potential...

But I definitely recommend "Nightmares and Dreamscapes."

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i read bag o bones, green mile and different seasons.. that is all.. i always wanted to get into the dark tower series, but not enough time.

QUOTE (antifreeze @ May 25 2007, 12:11 PM)
Yeah,as long as its done right.

Speaking of that,don't you also think Hugh Laurie would be an unbelievably similar Roland?

I've asked millions of people about this and they have always avoided me.Is it that silly a thought?

Yes, it's extremely silly...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 25 2007, 01:26 PM)

Speaking of that,don't you also think Hugh Laurie would be an unbelievably similar Roland?

I've asked millions of people about this and they have always avoided me.Is it that silly a thought?

Very silly, I agree.

John Wayne baby. Theres your Roland.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 25 2007, 09:00 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 25 2007, 01:26 PM)

Very silly, I agree.

John Wayne baby. Theres your Roland.

John Wayne? Eww, really? Ah... I disagree.

Roland should be tall and mean looking. Well, not mean... dark... ah, some word like that. I almost think Hugh Jackman, but at the same time, he's all wrong.

As for Hugh Laurie... mm, not quite. When I think of him, I think of House, and Roland and House are, ah, not alike. I'll bet he could pull it off though; he's a brilliant actor.

QUOTE (Atomic.Feedback! @ May 31 2007, 01:35 AM)
As for Hugh Laurie... mm, not quite.  When I think of him, I think of House, and Roland and House are, ah, not alike.  I'll bet he could pull it off though; he's a brilliant actor.

If you'd seen Hugh Laurie in Blackadder and Fry & Laurie (British TV shows back in the 80s) he'd be the very last person you'd choose to play this role...

Edited by treeduck

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 31 2007, 12:29 PM)
I don't know about anyone else. But I'm almost done with Wizard and Glass and I have to admit the whole story Roland told bore me to death. I just couldn't keep any interest in it. Anyone else think that too?

No Wingy, when I first read the book back in 98 I didn't like the idea of a whole novel that was essentially a flashback, I wanted King to carry on with the story on the current timeline, so I went into it unimpressed. But the story of young Roland and Susan Delgado blew me away it was excellent and defintely classic King with great characters. Cordelia Delgado for instance, was a bitchy "mother" who betrays Susan in her scheming madness in the tradition of Anne Norton from Salem's Lot and Carrie White's mother from Carrie. And that's just one aspect of it. The bad guys Fran Lengyl, Kimba Rymer, Clay Reynolds, Roy Depape, Eldred Jonas (leader of the Big Coffin Hunters) and especially the hideously evil Rhea of the Coos are all very good. What a character that Rhea was...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 31 2007, 01:02 PM)
I don't know about anyone else. But I'm almost done with Wizard and Glass and I have to admit the whole story Roland told bore me to death. I just couldn't keep any interest in it. Anyone else think that too?

No Wingy, when I first read the book back in 98 I didn't like the idea of a whole novel that was essentially a flashback, I wanted King to carry on with the story on the current timeline, so I went into it unimpressed. But the story of young Roland and Susan Delgado blew me away it was excellent and defintely classic King with great characters. Cordelia Delgado for instance, was a bitchy "mother" who betrays Susan in her scheming madness in the tradition of Anne Norton from Salem's Lot and Carrie White's mother from Carrie. And that's just one aspect of it. The bad guys Fran Lengyl, Kimba Rymer, Clay Reynolds, Roy Depape, Eldred Jonas (leader of the Big Coffin Hunters) and especially the hideously evil Rhea of the Coos are all very good. What a character that Rhea was...

It seemed like to me that there where just way to many characters that you were just thrown at you the whole story. Hard to tell who was doing what.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jun 1 2007, 12:27 PM)

It seemed like to me that there where just way to many characters that you were just thrown at you the whole story. Hard to tell who was doing what.

Well compared to a novel like IT there wasn't that many characters. King I think is great at juggling a huge amount of characters, it's one of his fortes.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 1 2007, 12:50 PM)

Well compared to a novel like IT there wasn't that many characters. King I think is great at juggling a huge amount of characters, it's one of his fortes.

Maybe it was just a lack of interest on my part. Because I read Needful Things with out any problems.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jun 1 2007, 12:58 PM)

Maybe it was just a lack of interest on my part. Because I read Needful Things with out any problems.

Yeah, Needful Things is a good example of what I was talking about, a whole community of characters feuding and fighting to great effect. That novel is one of King's funniest...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 1 2007, 01:03 PM)

Yeah, Needful Things is a good example of what I was talking about, a whole community of characters feuding and fighting to great effect. That novel is one of King's funniest...

I agree, the book was great. The movie wasn't that half bad either. But it is kinda hard to make that book into a good movie.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jun 1 2007, 01:08 PM)

I agree, the book was great. The movie wasn't that half bad either. But it is kinda hard to make that book into a good movie.

I wasn't impressed with the film version, but like you said it's hard to translate King's vision to the screen, most of King's big books are impossible to adapt. Also, sometimes King's voice is what makes a particular book what it is and when filmed that voice is lost in the translation and just becomes a jumbled mess, The Tommyknockers for example.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 1 2007, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jun 1 2007, 01:08 PM)

I wasn't impressed with the film version, but like you said it's hard to translate King's vision to the screen, most of King's big books are impossible to adapt. Also, sometimes King's voice is what makes a particular book what it is and when filmed that voice is lost in the translation and just becomes a jumbled mess, The Tommyknockers for example.

Never seen it. I'm guessing it blows?