Tequila for mixed drinks....

For making a good marguarita or other tequila drinks is it better to use better (higher priced) tequila? I know for whiskey, good sipping whiskey is probably not the best for whiskey based mixed drinks, and I was wondering if the same was true for other alcohols.

Also is there a better type to use for mixed drinks?

agave tequila, blanco, joven, reposado and anejo???

I dont know what these are..

Any other tequila comments welcomed. biggrin.gif

My sister and brother-in-law are coming to visit in the summer and we wish to become tequila shit-faced, but would like to do it in style. cool.gif 1287.gif

Using a quality tequila like Patron in blender drinks like margaritas is a waste. With all the mixer and ice you wouldn't be able to taste the $50/bottle quality. Not that you should go bottom of the barrel, either -- stick with good ol' Jose Cuervo Gold for blender drinks. Save the Patron for sipping and shots.

I'll bet Digital Man can help you with your other questions. I always thought all tequila was made from agave.

I believe that is true that all tequila is made with the Agave plant which grows primarily in Mexico. Actually, it's a certain type of agave, the Agave Azul (blue agave) that is used. I'm not sure what makes a certain type like Anejo, but I know that with most brands their Anejo is generally a higher end quality as it is aged in oak barrel for 12 months or more. Blanco is spanish for "white" and is clear in color because they don't age it (aging is what gives all alcoholic beverages their color), but it's the same stuff. The others I'm not sure about.. Sauza has a wide selection of Tequilas from cheap to really good and they have a nice web site with a bunch of helpful info and definitions.

Sauza

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 11 2006, 01:29 PM)
Using a quality tequila like Patron in blender drinks like margaritas is a waste. With all the mixer and ice you wouldn't be able to taste the $50/bottle quality. Not that you should go bottom of the barrel, either -- stick with good ol' Jose Cuervo Gold for blender drinks. Save the Patron for sipping and shots.

I'll bet Digital Man can help you with your other questions. I always thought all tequila was made from agave.

you are pretty much right on...