Now a question for the bass players

ByWyzD

I am a beginning bass player and of course I was heavily inspired by Geddy. Which Rush song is easiest to play on the bass. I am playing along with a lot of other stuff and taking lessons but would like to find a Rush song to add to my practice routine. Thanks for any advice you can give.

The easiest? That's tough to say. Maybe you should start with just a couple riffs; "Superconductor" is an easy one, and one of the first that I learned.

Some of the basslines that might sound 'difficult' are actually easier for me to play than the 'simpler' sounding ones. "Animate" may be just a few notes, repeated for a few bars like chugging 8th notes, but I find that tougher to play than, say, "Freewill" or "Limelight," with their flowery progressive lines. You may find the same to be true. (The riff from "Freewill" is one of my favorites to play.)

Learn how to read bass tablature and have your instructor write out a few choice Rush riffs - the main riff from "Fly By Night" or a small piece of "Spirit of Radio."

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will give some of those ideas a try. I need to learn to read tabs better. I can figure out the notes that I need to play on the tabs but I don't have a clue about all the symbols. All in good time....

I have a quick and easy warmup routine that is just Rush riffs, with little peices of "flares" that I added. I'll post it at some time, but it's this-

Intro to Red Barchetta>Passage to Bangkok guitar riff, made into bass>Working Man, entire intro/first verse, chorus>Tom Sawyer line.

Again, I'll tab it out for a 4 string. I have little interpolations I add in on the upper strings of my 6 string, so I'll cut those.

New World Man and Distant Early Warning are fairly sraight forward. Even Vital Signs is not as difficult as their other material. Animate is also do-able for a beginner.

None of these song have really long or intensive runs in them. The learning curve is a bit lower than say Hemispheres. wink.gif