Amplifier Question

ByWyzD

I was wondering if it would damage a bass amp if you played a guitar through it. Probably a dumb question but as a beginning musician I'm curious. My daughter would like to use my bass amp for her guitar on occasion. I realize she won't get the best sound, but would it hurt the amp at all? Thanks in advance for your help.

Trust me, it won't do anything. I experiment a ton with things like that (my current stage setup is a bass through overdriven guitar amps) and it won't do anything. I've tried it on both tube driven and solid-state, and I haven't had a problem.

Hope it helps.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 29 2005, 10:49 PM)
I think I blew my old Crate guitar amp by playing my bass through it. But as far as I know it's okay the other way around.

What kind of amp was it? Solid-state or tube? I was going to post that I've heard cases of the low frequencies of a bass cracking tubes, but since it's never happened to me or anyone I know, I didn't want to scare anyone... unsure.gif

Les Claypool plays through guitar amps.

Basically it is a frequency thing. Guitar amps tend to roll off at a higher frequncy than a bass amp, but the output signal level is the same. I have recorded bass through guitar amps and guitars through bass amps, and any combination.

Some bass amps are better guitar amps and vice versa. The old Fender Bassman is a great example of this. It had four 10" speakers. It is a better amp for guitar than bass. You'll hear blues guys using Fender Bassmans for guitar. I used to love playing my old SG through my dad's solid state Standel bass amp.

I have seen jazz players plug into bass amps to get a good clean sound. I wouldn't call it completely abnormal, and it certainly won't cause any damage.