war of the worlds.

Tick

I thought it was going to be bad..beacuse I dont like alien movies

But I thought it was an awesome flick...They didint explain why they were their or anything but thats ok.

Tom Cruise was awesome in that movie.

Excuse me for being lazy, but I'm just going to post the comments I made on War of the Worlds from my (under construction) SF/Fantasy site Alphaville2001.

(I should point out that this review is from someone who is a big fan the original H G Wells novel, the original film but is not particularly a big fan of Tom Cruise or Steven Spielberg.)

QUOTE (Alphaville2001)

Even while I was writing the synopsis above, I was struck by how truly awful the premise of this version was. The plots holes I must confess that, when I heard about this film, I had many deep misgivings - all of which were justified. I really do think that this is the worst adaptation of Wells' novel (and I do include the TV series). To me, the film was trite, predictable and overly sentimental. Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise and the best thing that can be said about him is that he's not Keanu Reeves. Justin Chatwin is a typical annoying American teenager that only seems to exist in films of this sort. Dakota Fanning seemed to show signs of rising above all this but is hampered by the fact that she is given to do is scream and whine. Miranda Otto is wasted as she is merely there to show how abysmal Cruise's character is as a father. The acting honours go, not unexpectedly, to Tim Robbins but he is hampered by playing a part rather than a character.

However, the film is visually stunning. As a long time fan of H G Wells, it was nice to actually see a reasonable depiction of the tripods. The visual effects are everything you would expect from Spielberg when he has a large budget to play with. Unfortunately, this does not stop the film from being dull and rushed.

As a Wells fan, I'm still waiting for a version to match up to Jeff Wayne's musical adaptation.