Need to get a synth of some type.. Help!

Gilbertk

I'm a bassist, but I've decided to finally add synths to the mix in the way Rush has done it, with pedals, so I can add big chords and samples behind the band. I know I want to get a Keith McMillen 12 Step as that seems like the most affordable and quality step controller, but I have NO idea what to plug it into. I guess ideally I'd want it to be able to save presets and have a lot of editing options so I can craft each tone, but I'm not sure what that device would be..

I know a lot of people use Apple Laptops for this, but I'm not sure how powerful a machine I would need to prevent any glitches or latency. The Arturia Microbrute looked great but without presets that's kind of a killer since I don't have time to change all those knobs between songs seeing how I am still primarily a bassist.

I'm at a loss here. I don't really have any experience with live synths, I'm just wanting to expand my role on stage.

Oh, and I'd like to keep the cost of whatever this is under $500-600

Any current laptop will work fine. More RAM is helpful. I have used a variety of Mac and Windows machines for this. I prefer Reason as a synth/sampler because it does so much, though now it has many DAW features. Komplete is also very good. The Arteria stuff is good but more modular than either Reason or the synths and samplers in Komplete. Massive and Kontakt are the more useful devices in Komplete and they are available individually. If you go with Apple Mainstage is also very good. Also Rush are using Ableton Live, which I have but use rarely.

I currently use a MacBook Pro 15" with Reason connected to a MidiSport 4x4 USB and a Roland PK5 pedal keyboard and various manual keyboards.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

Any current laptop will work fine. More RAM is helpful. I have used a variety of Mac and Windows machines for this. I prefer Reason as a synth/sampler because it does so much, though now it has many DAW features. Komplete is also very good. The Arteria stuff is good but more modular than either Reason or the synths and samplers in Komplete. Massive and Kontakt are the more useful devices in Komplete and they are available individually. If you go with Apple Mainstage is also very good. Also Rush are using Ableton Live, which I have but use rarely.

I currently use a MacBook Pro 15" with Reason connected to a MidiSport 4x4 USB and a Roland PK5 pedal keyboard and various manual keyboards.

Thanks, looks like a MacBook and Mainstage will be the most affordable starting option, then I can add Reason later since I have a little experience with that one.

Any recommendations on amplification? Reading around it looks like a lot of people are against keyboard amps since they don't want all the EQ circuitry

I generally go into a small mixer into the PA when running multiple keyboards or straight to the PA from my MacBook depending on the situation. The mixer gives me better volume control between the rig and the PA but I've been playing pedals only with another keyboard player recently so he goes through my mixer and my MacBook goes direct to the PA.

Keyboard amps are good when no monitors are available but they are generally mono and I run stereo for certain samples. PA is usually the best option.

• Like 1

That's why we're here...

MainStage sounds pretty good, especially if you have Logic Pro which comes with a bunch of soft synths that MainStage can access. I was checking it yesterday and there are some nice patches in there. It is simple to use but also has minimal features compared to Reason. I love Reason. :)