Alcoholism

Romi - The Bringer of Love

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 2 2005, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 2 2005, 06:13 PM)
drinking is my fear....I dunno why

it's a good fear to have. the stuff is too powerful to get hooked on it when you've got your whole life ahead of you.

yea thats all I think about these days...and then there's my friends...doing everything possible...I always wonder why...and so do they...they are always like Al why don't you want to come and party...I always relpy..."why?, i've got better things to do..." and I don't mean this forum! tongue.gif I mean like playing guitar and stuff....why should I get wasted for fun? whats the fun in that. soon enough my friends will corrupt me...it's only a matter of time...

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 3 2005, 12:08 AM)

it's a good fear to have. the stuff is too powerful to get hooked on it when you've got your whole life ahead of you.

yea thats all I think about these days...and then there's my friends...doing everything possible...I always wonder why...and so do they...they are always like Al why don't you want to come and party...I always relpy..."why?, i've got better things to do..." and I don't mean this forum! tongue.gif I mean like playing guitar and stuff....why should I get wasted for fun? whats the fun in that. soon enough my friends will corrupt me...it's only a matter of time...

Maybe you should think about some new friends...one's who have goals..want to go to college and do well, or are serious about their music....etc.

Best of luck D.

ohh yeah, i'm just a freshman & a lot of people my age go to parties & get completely wasted..it's super sad. if i wanna get drunk, i'm doing it in the privacy & safety of my own home..& there's usually better things to do at home than drink. as a musician, i know what you mean when you say you'd rather play than get drunk..you can't play when you're wasted!! tongue.gif

seriously though, you've got really good judgement for someone your age!! you're a good example for all us younger folks! biggrin.gif

I don't think Neil's line "...horrors of horrors, a recovering alcoholic..." referred to recovering alcoholics in general. I think it referred to what HE would face himself as one.

I think it refers to the challenge of giving up a very pleasurable, enjoyable part of his life. Could you imagine Neil being forced to give up his beloved Macallan forever?

fists crying.gif

QUOTE (Spike @ Feb 3 2005, 01:36 PM)
I don't think Neil's line "...horrors of horrors, a recovering alcoholic..." referred to recovering alcoholics in general.  I think it referred to what HE would face himself as one.

I think it refers to the challenge of giving up a very pleasurable, enjoyable part of his life.  Could you imagine Neil being forced to give up his beloved Macallan forever?

fists crying.gif

Nice to meet you Spike smile.gif

Surely it would be as tough as it was for me to give up beers and cognac trink39.gif

I am pretty curious about absyntho (the green fairy), which I have never enjoyed. no.gif

Have you ever seen this before?

"Rush rock on for a fine drop of Macallan": "Whisky on the rocks all round this Christmas for the employees of the Edrington group, quite literally as in go 'heavy on the rocks'. Heavy rocker Neil Peart, below left, writer/lyricist and drummer for Rush, the Canadian rock band, sent them stocking-filling goodies as a sign of appreciation for his visit to Glasgow earlier this year. The band played a sell-out concert in Glasgow a few months ago and Edrington presented a bottle of The Macallan Fine Oak 15-year-old single malt to Neil to celebrate his birthday. Neil, or 'the Professor' as he is referred to, is a fan of The Macallan and makes regular references to it in his book Ghost Rider and the more recently-released Travelling Music and thousands of RUSH fans have become devotees of the brand. The Professor was much taken with the warm gesture in Glasgow and, on his return to North America, sent a package of 'goodies' to the company, including signed CDs, pic! tures and other memorabilia. These have now been distributed amongst RUSH fans who work for the distiller. Whether they will now play Rush over the Tannoy in the bottling plant remains to be seen." - Scotsman.com, Dec. 27, 2004

Best wishes bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Feb 3 2005, 05:58 AM)

Maybe you should think about some new friends...one's who have goals..want to go to college and do well, or are serious about their music....etc.

Best of luck D.

they do have goals and they are going to university!

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 3 2005, 05:47 PM)

Best of luck D.

I feel like a jerk.... doh.gif

Its what happens when you assume. ph34r.gif

Just my paternal instincts....I don't want D-13 corrupted!!!!

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Feb 3 2005, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 3 2005, 05:47 PM)

Best of luck D.

I feel like a jerk.... doh.gif

Its what happens when you assume. ph34r.gif

Just my paternal instincts....I don't want D-13 corrupted!!!!

haha don't feel like a jerk! cuz your not! lol don't worry i'll make good decisions when they come! smile.gif

I dunno, I'm not much of a drinker now and dont think I ever will be. I have seen a few friends that have their share of healthy drinking habits and a few in my family that have some extremely unhealthy habits. Every once and a while I will have a little something, but I always feel like I'm making a fool of myself if I have too much. That was the same reason why I quit smoking as well, I felt far more shame then I did a happy feeling and thats not a feeling I wanted to have.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 3 2005, 05:01 PM)
I dunno, I'm not much of a drinker now and dont think I ever will be. I have seen a few friends that have their share of healthy drinking habits and a few in my family that have some extremely unhealthy habits. Every once and a while I will have a little something, but I always feel like I'm making a fool of myself if I have too much. That was the same reason why I quit smoking as well, I felt far more shame then I did a happy feeling and thats not a feeling I wanted to have.

Yea I feel the same way....making a fool out of myself....exactly...you took the words right out of my mouth! lol

Well ... I learned a long time ago to never assume what Neil is REALY thinking in his lyrics or books, interviews ... etc smile.gif

I really agree with what Spike said .... but there is another thought ... maybe he wasn't saying that to be funny, but to me literal. That it would REALLY hard to live as a recovering alcoholic.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Feb 3 2005, 07:06 PM)
Well ... I learned a long time ago to never assume what Neil is REALY thinking in his lyrics or books, interviews ... etc  smile.gif

I really agree with what Spike said .... but there is another thought ... maybe he wasn't saying that to be funny, but to me literal. That it would REALLY hard to live as a recovering alcoholic.

Good point, ES. You could be right about that. unsure.gif

Archived