Concert A/V quality: DVD vs Blu-ray

Alph Seeker

Who here has compared the video and (more importantly) sound quality of DVD vs Blu-ray for any of the concerts?

Blu-ray player will play DVD's - my TV is 1080p - DVD is "upconverted" to 1080i.

I own all in DVD, but am considering the upgrade. I get that the video quality will be improved beyond the upconvert - how much?

I am more interested in how much better DTS-HD (blu-ray) is over Dolby Digital 5.1 (DVD).

My new system is pretty decent - receiver quite nice, speakers ok, I may upgrade those. So, I realize audio quality gains do depend on how high end the components are - so mostly I'd like to hear from anyone who has gone from watching/listening their DVD versions to blu-ray and how significant the improvements are - again more for audio than video.

Thanks!

I think the blu-ray sound is definitely better although I notice it more on quieter music, like the HD audio track for David Gilmour's Remember That Night blu-ray is reference quality superb. Unfortunately the recent Rush concerts are not well recorded so the improvement is not as noticable, although if you have a 1080p TV the video upgrade is definitely worth it.

Thanks i appreciate the feedback. Anyone else? I figured there would be several out there who have gone from DVD to blu ray. Please post. Im sure there are others who would like to know as well. I cant be the only one who thinks this is more valuable than reading which Rush song someone listened to today.

I notice a difference between Blu-ray and DVD. But other things coming to play depending on if you're using the HDMI, an optical or even the analog stereo connectors.

I notice a difference between Blu-ray and DVD. But other things coming to play depending on if you're using the HDMI, an optical or even the analog stereo connectors.

Good point. For me HDMI only since im now using only a blu ray player. So yeah, for somone who replaces a dvd player using lesser connections to hdmi they will be changing more than 1 variable.

• Like 1

Keep in mind for the HD sound (DTS HD and Dolby True HD) of blu-ray to work, you have to use an HDMI cable from the blu-ray player to your receiver and then another HDMI cable from your receiver to your TV.