treeduck

Saints roundup: Brees passing Elway

September, 12, 2014

SEP 12

By Mike Triplett | ESPN.com

http://nflsaints.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/mh395741.jpg

METAIRIE, La. -- At some point during the first quarter Sunday in Cleveland, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees will almost certainly pass John Elway for fourth place on the NFL’s all-time passing list.

Brees has 51,414 career passing yards. He needs 62 yards to pass Elway. He’ll need another 10,000 to crack the top 3 of Brett Favre (71,838), Peyton Manning (65,233) and Dan Marino (61,361).

Brees is already fourth in NFL history in career touchdown passes with 364 -- also trailing Favre (508), Manning (494) and Marino (420).

Worth noting:

Brees had by far the highest QBR of any quarterback that lost in Week 1, according to ESPN Stats and Information. Brees’ QBR was 84.0. The next best from a losing quarterback was Philip Rivers' 59.0. It was Brees’ highest rating in a loss since Week 4 of 2012 against the Green Bay Packers.

The completion percentage throughout the NFL in Week 1 was 64.3 percent. That’s the highest single-week percentage in NFL history, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Pierre Thomas set a franchise record for most receiving yards by a running back last week, passing Dalton Hilliard. Thomas now has 2,288 receiving yards in eight years with the Saints. He needs seven more receptions to break Reggie Bush’s franchise record of 294 career receptions by a running back.

According to the NFL, Saints rookie receiver Brandin Cooks is now the youngest player to score a touchdown since 1997. Cooks is 20 years, 347 days old.

Although the Saints won during their last trip to Cleveland (the debut of the Sean Payton-Brees era in 2006), they are 1-4 in their last five games against the Browns. And they are just 4-12 all-time against Cleveland.

As if the Saints needed any more motivation to secure their first win of the season, ESPN Stats and Info pointed out that only 12 percent of teams that started 0-2 since 1990 made the playoffs (23 of 198). Teams that start 1-1 made the playoffs 41 percent of the time in that span.

Worth repeating:

Brees had some fun with the wording of a question this week when asked what Cooks “bring to the party?”

“Oh, he brings all kinds of stuff to the party. Ribbons, streamers, ice, whatever you need. He’s bringing it all,” Brees said before pausing. “I don’t know why I said ribbons. I was thinking like birthday parties for my kids or something.”

Brees’ more serious description of Cooks: “He’s awesome. I think what I love about him the most is just his attention to detail and just how locked in he is. … Ready, focused, and ready to take instruction and teaching. You tell him something about a little nuance or route or concept or whatever and, man, he’s got it. He makes a mistake, he fixes it immediately. You don’t see him make the same mistake twice. Man, you love guys like that, just the work ethic, attention to detail and desire, desire to be a great player and help this team win.”

Former Saints cornerback Jabari Greer's retirement announcement made me think back to the story I did on him leading up to the Saints’ Super Bowl win in 2010. I’ve always thought Greer was the most underrated part of the Saints’ success that year. The numbers crunchers agreed, though Deion Sanders was harder to convince.

ESPN’s panel of 13 analysts unanimously agree that the Saints will win this week. Of course, 12 of 13 picked the Saints last week, too.

Saints roundup: Brees passing Elway

September, 12, 2014

SEP 12

By Mike Triplett | ESPN.com

http://nflsaints.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/mh395741.jpg

METAIRIE, La. -- At some point during the first quarter Sunday in Cleveland, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees will almost certainly pass John Elway for fourth place on the NFL’s all-time passing list.

Brees has 51,414 career passing yards. He needs 62 yards to pass Elway. He’ll need another 10,000 to crack the top 3 of Brett Favre (71,838), Peyton Manning (65,233) and Dan Marino (61,361).

Brees is already fourth in NFL history in career touchdown passes with 364 -- also trailing Favre (508), Manning (494) and Marino (420).

Worth noting:

Brees had by far the highest QBR of any quarterback that lost in Week 1, according to ESPN Stats and Information. Brees’ QBR was 84.0. The next best from a losing quarterback was Philip Rivers' 59.0. It was Brees’ highest rating in a loss since Week 4 of 2012 against the Green Bay Packers.

The completion percentage throughout the NFL in Week 1 was 64.3 percent. That’s the highest single-week percentage in NFL history, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Pierre Thomas set a franchise record for most receiving yards by a running back last week, passing Dalton Hilliard. Thomas now has 2,288 receiving yards in eight years with the Saints. He needs seven more receptions to break Reggie Bush’s franchise record of 294 career receptions by a running back.

According to the NFL, Saints rookie receiver Brandin Cooks is now the youngest player to score a touchdown since 1997. Cooks is 20 years, 347 days old.

Although the Saints won during their last trip to Cleveland (the debut of the Sean Payton-Brees era in 2006), they are 1-4 in their last five games against the Browns. And they are just 4-12 all-time against Cleveland.

As if the Saints needed any more motivation to secure their first win of the season, ESPN Stats and Info pointed out that only 12 percent of teams that started 0-2 since 1990 made the playoffs (23 of 198). Teams that start 1-1 made the playoffs 41 percent of the time in that span.

Worth repeating:

Brees had some fun with the wording of a question this week when asked what Cooks “bring to the party?”

“Oh, he brings all kinds of stuff to the party. Ribbons, streamers, ice, whatever you need. He’s bringing it all,” Brees said before pausing. “I don’t know why I said ribbons. I was thinking like birthday parties for my kids or something.”

Brees’ more serious description of Cooks: “He’s awesome. I think what I love about him the most is just his attention to detail and just how locked in he is. … Ready, focused, and ready to take instruction and teaching. You tell him something about a little nuance or route or concept or whatever and, man, he’s got it. He makes a mistake, he fixes it immediately. You don’t see him make the same mistake twice. Man, you love guys like that, just the work ethic, attention to detail and desire, desire to be a great player and help this team win.”

Former Saints cornerback Jabari Greer's retirement announcement made me think back to the story I did on him leading up to the Saints’ Super Bowl win in 2010. I’ve always thought Greer was the most underrated part of the Saints’ success that year. The numbers crunchers agreed, though Deion Sanders was harder to convince.

ESPN’s panel of 13 analysts unanimously agree that the Saints will win this week. Of course, 12 of 13 picked the Saints last week, too.

The Chargers were such idiots when they let him go.

• Like 2