The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway: What Does it Mean to You?

Powderfinger

"I don't want to say too much about the story because it will remove chances of neutral attitudes towards it. The less preconceived ideas people have about the album the better. I'd rather they have their own ideas and expectations than us trying to sell it to them."

- Peter Gabriel interview, 1974

http://thegenesisarchive.co.uk/category/genesis-albumsong/the-lamb-lies-down-on-broadway-genesis-albumsong/

I don't care what this means and I think that is the meaning of it. It would take plenty of dissection musically and lyrically and conceptually to begin to understand, and I've tried, but gah.

It's a beautiful work of art and one of my favorites and that's that. Sometimes cheesy but that's part of the charm and surreal aspect. Read the Annotated Lamb Lies Down for a pretty good synopsis/guide.

I don't have a PHD, so I don't know what the album is all about. What I DO know, is that it's a wicked album... all of it. Too bad Gabriel left after that one...

at least 2 good albums came after

Not so sure, Bathory... I'll say ONE good album came after... A Trick of the Tail is a great album. When I was 15, one of my very first bands played Squonk. Luckily for me, as a drummer, the guys picked one of the easier drumming songs on that album. A few weeks later we learned how to play Dance on a Volcano. That one took a bit of "figuring out."