League of Legends

Steel Rat

I started playing it. I'm at level 10 right now. Add me, "Benji0nics."

What's LoL?

That's a bit hard to explain. It's based off of the custom game, "Defense of the Ancients (DOTA)," which was birthed on the Warcraft III engine. It's a top-down game with two teams, 3 or 5 players on each team. Players assume the role of a "Champion" to represent them on the battlefield. The goal is to push through one of the "lanes" on the battlefield, to ultimately destroy the opposing team's "Nexus," which lies deep within the enemy's territory.

Along the way, swarms of minions pump from both team's bases automatically. Champions can destroy opposing minions and defensive turrets to earn experience and gold. The experience increases the champion's level, and in turn, his stats, skills, and abilities; In a given match, a champion maxes at level 18. The gold is spent at a shop within the team's base to purchase gear, items, and consumables, increasing the champion's power.

At the heart of this game is the encounters you have with opposing players. Generally speaking, it's intentionally very difficult to slay an opposing champion, but when you do, it's the equivalent hitting a home run for your team. Likewise, players should be excessively cautious to avoid dying, as death results in dire penalties. In game, earned kills are called "Feed." If minion kills are rice, a player kill is a luxurious steak dinner, complete with two sides and a coke. Die more than a few times, and suddenly the opposing team has become an unstoppable, well-fed juggernaut.

There's also neutral NPCs that reside in the "jungle," which can be farmed for exp, gold, and buffs. Their difficulty ranges from easy to epic.

Check out what the big deal is. It's free!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/

Edited by Steel Rat