Another Milwaukee Review

CrimsonE

Finally got the chance to get to a computer, so let me offer my thoughts about the Milwaukee show.

As far as Rush shows I've seen go, I'd say it's somewhere in the middle, which is still head & shoulders above most other bands.

The technical gaffs were pretty notable here, but then again, Rush often has problems in Milwaukee. I remember seeing them on the T4E tour where Alex's guitar went out early and Geddy and Neil had to kill time with a short country music jam.

I have no major complaints about the setlist, with the possible exception of LTTA, which is the weakest of their 90's instrumentals. I would rather have seen Where's My Thing. Also, Freewill could have been replaced with a deeper classic cut, but I don't know what.

What I liked about this show was that it featured quiet a few songs that haven't been done in a while, including Time Stand Still, Marathon and Stick it Out, along with a couple that have never been played live. My highlight of the evening was Presto, and this was an amazing version, which makes me wonder why they hadn't played it live before now. The two newer tracks fit in very nicely, but I liked BU2B the best.

Then the MP set. Perhap's its the fact that much of it had been played already in the last few tours, but it didn't come across as special as I thought it would be. The Camera Eye was a highlight, but the rest was simply good.

I'm not sure what others thought of the drum solo, but I thought it was pretty tepid compared to what Peart usually does. I'm not sure if it's age, or simply Neil's personal tastes, but he's relying a bit too heavily on the samples, and this was pretty much throughout the solo. It still sounded pretty decent, but far below what I expect of him.

The accoustic solo into Closer to the Heart was very good, and I liked the reworking of the third verse. Far Cry was an unusual way to end the regular set (I thought they'd go with one of the standards), but the encore was about as good as it gets--or it would have been if not for the guitar problems.

Finally, I'm of two minds about the closing video. It was funny and yet touching, but it was a bit too long and perhaps might have been better served as an intro vid of some type.

All in all, a very good evening, and one that shows that Rush is still one of the best live acts today. Perhaps I might catch them later this tour, but I will definitely see them next year (as always).

Edited by CrimsonE

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 4 2010, 09:43 PM)
So are you from Milwaukee? What a breath taking view from Marcus! Still think that's the neatest layout I've seen of the outdoor sheds.

I spent my undergraduate and two graduate years at Marquette University in Milwaukee, but I currently live in Ohio, and drove up to the show from there, visiting my family in Chicago on the way. Unfortunately, Rush is not playing the Cleveland area (I live about 5 miles away from the outdoor venue), so I decided to make the trip, and it was definitely worth it.

BTW, I agree about the Marcus, as it is one of the better outdoor layouts, and it is beautiful to watch the lakefront. Plus, it was fun to attend Summerfest once again, even if just about everything is overpriced.