OpenPandora

Steel Rat

It is astonishing. It is a portable laptop with gaming nubs. It is more powerful than any portable gaming system. And it is OPEN SOURCE. I'm sure you all agree with me when I say...

WTF!!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/Steel_rat/open-p10.jpg

This is the "Pandora." It was dreamed up and created by a community of people who are sick of lousy, useless, cheating corporations like Sony and Nintendo always coming up with new, featureless consoles and then making you pay ridiculous amounts of money to get attachments that are necessary. No, there's no bullshit here, this superhero of gaming consoles comes with every f***ing feature you can imagine.

Here's just a short list of what pandora can do:

"-Play some Homebrew games developed specifically for the Pandora.

-Run emulators

-Browse the internet

-Run chat / IM clients

-Play music and video files

-View images

-View and edit text documents

-Attach accessories via USB ports

-In fact, most tasks you can do on a regular PC will be possible on Pandora to some extent"

As a gaming enthusiast, I can say that this is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen. It's great to see such amazing steps coming out of the open source world, and actually surpassing the big corporations.

http://open-pandora.org/

Edited by Steel Rat

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 29 2010, 01:27 PM)
It was dreamed up and created by a community of people who are sick of lousy, useless, cheating corporations like Microsoft always coming up with new, featureless consoles and then making you pay ridiculous amounts of money to get attachments that are necessary.

Fix'd

Except...the only one that are making attachments that can actually be necessary this gen are Nintendo. But that depends on what games you want to play.

Edited by Sussossus

Edited by Steel Rat

After all this time, the Pandora handheld PC is finally making its way into mass shipment. The pandora site is now accepting preorders.

It's 375 Euros (or $500), and should be shipped in January/February.

It's the best device I've ever seen, but needs and opinions differ, and I'd caution that the Pandora might not be for everyone. Some people might find the pandora less powerful and more frustrating than an iPad, while others might find the iPad more restrictive than the Pandora.

Pandora's advantage over bigger companies is that Pandora is only trying to sell you one thing - the pandora itself, unlike Apple who limits your app and hardware choices, hoping you'll buy stuff that would come free with the Pandora. Once you pay Pandora's up-front cost, you're cut loose and free to do whatever you want with your machine. The community provides enough free software to make your Pandora every bit as effective as your desktop PC. The device has a touchscreen, built in gaming controls, and full keyboard, and the ability to customize every minute detail on how you navigate your operating system. You can input mouse movements with the control nubs. You can click with the keyboard. It's powerful enough to emulate up to PS1, possibly Dreamcast.

It it sounds interesting to you, it's worth checking out. I can't wait to get mine next year.