Paul Cusick - Focal Point

The Owl

Hey TRF peeps......... wannna alert you to a new artist out there...

The Guy's name is Paul Cusick and this multi-instrumentalist is just amazing... his debut album "Focal Point" came out earlier this year...

http://www.qrock.co.uk/catalog/images/Focal-Point-Artwork.jpg

This is the about article on his website http://www.paulcusick.co.uk/

Paul Cusick ( aka Q ), British born multi-instrumentalist, started his solo music career in 2009 with the release of his debut album Focal Point. Previously Paul had spent years as the lead guitarist in several bands (Gabriel, Ripped & Riversea), but in 2008 his new year's resolution was to step out from behind his guitar and concentrate on his own song writing and production skills.

Within four months Paul had received record offers from two separate progressive rock labels based on a couple of early demos posted on his myspace. This interest gave Paul the motivation to continue writing and recording his debut album, whilst still maintaining his career as a freelance Chartered Civil Engineer.

Paul's guitar style has been compared Steve Hackett, David Gilmour, Steve Rothery and Steven Wilson. His songs draw upon the sounds and audio landscapes created by bands such as Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, Porcupine Tree, Chroma Key and Nine Inch Nails. However, the long instrumental pieces that are sometimes associated with the progressive rock genre have been replaced by catchy vocal melody lines akin to those evoked by more mainstream rock artists such as Coldplay and U2.

There is no band as yet. Paul sang and played all the instruments and recorded Focal Point himself within the comfort, and solitude of his own studio. During the final days of the project Paul was joined at Fairview Studios by drummer friend Alex "The Groove Monster" Cromarty . Andy Edwards (Frost*, IQ) also made an appearance as guest drummer on the track "Touch".

In spite of the recording and distribution offers Paul has also chosen to remain independent allowing him the freedom to release what he wants whenever he wants. His independently released digital downloads are of a significantly higher bitrate than those found on the likes of Amazon / iTunes / Napster (although they can be found there) and his CD contains a 12 page booklet with artwork that stands on it's own merits. His own record label is aptly called Q Rock Records.

Paul's musical future looks bright. Over 5000 fans signed up on his facebook page within its first 3 months, and almost 300 CD's were pre-ordered on the basis of his early demos. Focal Point was released on the 6th June 2009 but Paul is currently writing songs for his next album with a view to collaborations, forming a band and touring. A sneak preview of some demos for CD 2 can be heard on the music player here. Look for Trailer 1.

The whole album is available on his site...... This guy is phenomenal...listen to the album and be amazed...... The most impressive solo artist in quite a while........As his about page states he played all the instruments and sang on the album... just f***ing amazing

Sounds like Porcucpine Tree, with a little mix of Blackfield.... any modern prog fan should check this guy out.......SO DAMN GOOD!

from what Im getting, he is trying to get a band together a do a tour... He basically did this album completely by himself...

Hopefully he will be doing a second album after that.

He has been on the regular playlist on many shows at The Dividing Line Broadcast Network. And two months ago he was the featured artist on the main page at ProgArchives. I've listened to his stuff and it is very good, but I need to find the hook if it's going to reel me in.

Cusick has the full album available for download for free on his site right now......

http://www.paulcusick.co.uk/downloads.php

I would still recommend the CD, and he states that the mp3s are at a lower quality bit-rate... so the CD is the better option here........but for those of you who have not checked this guy out.......here is you chance to do so....

you owe it to yourself to check this guy out.

Paul Cusick is taking pre-orders for his second album "P-dice" to finance the making of the CD... there are a few early version and demos of the tracks that will be on the album on his site...

Hope to see the album by the end of the year.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 16 2011, 11:56 AM)
Paul Cusick is taking pre-orders for his second album "P-dice" to finance the making of the CD... there are a few early version and demos of the tracks that will be on the album on his site...

Hope to see the album by the end of the year.

That's great news. I loved "Focal Point".

Link

Gavin Harrison Drums

Hi

I am extremely honoured and proud to announce that Mr Gavin Harrison, the amazing drummer behind the band Porcupine Tree, is currently in the studio laying down drums and percussion for some of the tracks destined for my second album "P'dice".

I am absolutely blown away by what I have heard so far. His interpretation of the music and his mastery of the full dynamic range of the drums has added a new dimension to my tracks... and I love what I am hearing! And another great thing is Alex Cromarty, my drumming buddy from "Focal Point" is as excited as I am to have Gavin on board for album 2.

I am aiming to release P'dice this July. There are still the logistics of booking more studio time and co-ordinating the availability of drummers, but the light at the end of the tunnel is clearly visible.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 26 2011, 07:13 AM)
Link

Gavin Harrison Drums

Hi

I am extremely honoured and proud to announce that Mr Gavin Harrison, the amazing drummer behind the band Porcupine Tree, is currently in the studio laying down drums and percussion for some of the tracks destined for my second album "P'dice".

I am absolutely blown away by what I have heard so far. His interpretation of the music and his mastery of the full dynamic range of the drums has added a new dimension to my tracks... and I love what I am hearing! And another great thing is Alex Cromarty, my drumming buddy from "Focal Point" is as excited as I am to have Gavin on board for album 2.

I am aiming to release P'dice this July. There are still the logistics of booking more studio time and co-ordinating the availability of drummers, but the light at the end of the tunnel is clearly visible.

That's awesome! This album ought to be fantastic.

Archived