Corrupted Jpegs

Tarkus406

Okay so when I got back from Toronto I had 565 pictures that I took. Stupidly, when I put them on the computer, instead of hitting Ctrl+C and copying from the card, I hit Ctrl+X and removed them from the card rage.gif

So yeah afterward I reduced the quality from 4000x3000 pixels to about 800x600. THEN as if I wasn't retarded enough, I started going through and deleting all the ones I wasn't going to post on TRF! doh.gif

About halfway through that I realized DAMNIT IM DELETING MY PICTURES! and the resolution on them sucks!

So..knowing that when you delete a file from a drive, it is technically still there, but the OS reads it as free space and allows it to be overwritten. I thought to myself "okay....theyre still there....I just need to get a program that can recover them"

So I downloaded this program called PC Inspecter File Recovery or whatever...it found all the pictures I cut from the card. I was able to save all of them onto my hard drive from there. Problem is...almost 200 of them are corrupted. Some of them have grey areas on them, and some just wont open with any programs. I kept the pictures hoping there would be a way of saving them.

Does anyone know what I could do? confused13.gif

I think you're screwed. When my pics on my external got corrupted, there was no saving them. sad.gif

BUT... if you have not FORMATTED your camera card yet, there is still hope.

Hook up your camera and go into the camera drive. There should be a show hidden files command. See what that does.

There's also a free program called RECUVA. Give that a shot. http://www.recuva.com

Thanks Necro. I'll try using this program, too. I've already tried a recovery program on the card, but maybe different programs read the free space differently confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 25 2009, 11:59 AM)
Thanks Necro. I'll try using this program, too. I've already tried a recovery program on the card, but maybe different programs read the free space differently confused13.gif

If you didn't format it, you should be able to recover them without the program. Just with your windows software, there's a find hidden files command. I THINK this works. I've only been told this, and never tried it myself.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 24 2009, 05:05 PM)
Okay so when I got back from Toronto I had 565 pictures that I took. Stupidly, when I put them on the computer, instead of hitting Ctrl+C and copying from the card, I hit Ctrl+X and removed them from the card rage.gif

So yeah afterward I reduced the quality from 4000x3000 pixels to about 800x600. THEN as if I wasn't retarded enough, I started going through and deleting all the ones I wasn't going to post on TRF! doh.gif

About halfway through that I realized DAMNIT IM DELETING MY PICTURES! and the resolution on them sucks!

So..knowing that when you delete a file from a drive, it is technically still there, but the OS reads it as free space and allows it to be overwritten. I thought to myself "okay....theyre still there....I just need to get a program that can recover them"

So I downloaded this program called PC Inspecter File Recovery or whatever...it found all the pictures I cut from the card. I was able to save all of them onto my hard drive from there. Problem is...almost 200 of them are corrupted. Some of them have grey areas on them, and some just wont open with any programs. I kept the pictures hoping there would be a way of saving them.

I'm sure you've dones this........but did you check your Recycle Bin to see if they are there?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 25 2009, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 25 2009, 11:59 AM)

If you didn't format it, you should be able to recover them without the program. Just with your windows software, there's a find hidden files command. I THINK this works. I've only been told this, and never tried it myself.

Hidden files and Deleted files are not the same thing.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 25 2009, 09:58 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 24 2009, 05:05 PM)

I'm sure you've dones this........but did you check your Recycle Bin to see if they are there?

I used the 'cut' command to take them off the SD card. No recycle bin involved.

I believe that when something is "deleted" from an SD card it is gone. Those cards are not like your computers hard drive. They only store a single file associated with each image.

This may work......

http://www.cardrecovery.com/

Recover deleted photos from memory cards.
Recover lost photos from memory cards.
Recover photos from formatted memory cards.
Recover photos from damaged, unreadable or defective memory cards.
Recover pictures from removable storage including floppy disks, Zip disks etc.
Recover images, audio/video, MP3/MP4 files from cellular phones, MP3 players, PDAs.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jul 26 2009, 08:06 PM)
I believe that when something is "deleted" from an SD card it is gone. Those cards are not like your computers hard drive. They only store a single file associated with each image.

They do retain the data that's deleted. On any media, there's really no such thing as 'deleting' anything. I also thought it was completely wiped but the program I tried did list each file that was deleted. And most of them I have back now, but there are still some that didn't make it through the recovery process.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 26 2009, 08:52 PM)

They do retain the data that's deleted. On any media, there's really no such thing as 'deleting' anything. I also thought it was completely wiped but the program I tried did list each file that was deleted. And most of them I have back now, but there are still some that didn't make it through the recovery process.

Yes........SD cards use the FAT system, so you are correct.........deleted data still remains.......

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 26 2009, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 26 2009, 08:52 PM)

Yes........SD cards use the FAT system, so you are correct.........deleted data still remains.......

Yea, I learned something today !! biggrin.gif Thank you!

Archived