My strange bass technique...

jrdrummer

Is this strange? I almost always have my pinky behind the fretboard. I'm not sure if it's just how I play or if it's a bad habit. Oh well, at least I don't play using my thumb anymore...

QUOTE (jrdrummer @ Jun 17 2008, 11:56 PM)
Is this strange? I almost always have my pinky behind the fretboard. I'm not sure if it's just how I play or if it's a bad habit. Oh well, at least I don't play using my thumb anymore...

I used to be worried about having proper technique (guitar player) but anymore I'm just interested if it gets the job done. BTW, Chris Squire uses his thumb to fret notes, so you weren't in bad company there.

Well you are missing out on using that little finger to play with first of all. I use mine all the time. I just got done doing pinky exercises in my office on my lunch hour. It's a very valuable appendage. laugh.gif

I say it's a bad habit you should try to break.

I just tried playing like that I cant even do it sad.gif

Slows me down. So yeah, I suggest gettin that pinky on a fret every now and then. Eventually it will become a habit. I used to play guitar (6-string) with my pinky curled up in my hand because it wasnt strong enough to play any notes. Now I can do those super-chords across all 6 strings and even bend with my pinky during solos.

So start using that finger, it will get easier.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 21 2008, 11:48 AM)
Slows me down. So yeah, I suggest gettin that pinky on a fret every now and then. Eventually it will become a habit. I used to play guitar (6-string) with my pinky curled up in my hand because it wasnt strong enough to play any notes. Now I can do those super-chords across all 6 strings and even bend with my pinky during solos.

Its impossible for me to do barre chords

QUOTE (jrdrummer @ Jun 17 2008, 08:56 PM)

links please

Sounds strange indeed... the thumb should be behind the neck - all other fingers should be used for fretting notes...

but, whatever works for you...

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jun 21 2008, 04:46 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 21 2008, 11:48 AM)

Its impossible for me to do barre chords

barred chords on guitar or bass? on a guitar its simple same as the bass. just use your index to barre the fretboard with the finger nail part on the root note then take the ring or middle finger and place it on one string above two frets away, thats a power chord as well as a barred. most people dont realize that the middle finger playing the fifth as well as other notes blocks the notes that the index finger is playing. Its a little confusing how i wrote it, but you'll get used to it soon enough