Hope HELP!

brokenstoned

I know how to play it...I just can't tune my 12 string DADAAD without breaking the G strings, I know it's only 1 step up, but I've broken about 6 of them. Any gauge suggestions? I've been using .008 & .017 G strings, but they keep breaking! HELP!!!

QUOTE (brokenstoned @ Aug 7 2007, 09:39 PM)
I know how to play it...I just can't tune my 12 string DADAAD without breaking the G strings, I know it's only 1 step up, but I've broken about 6 of them. Any gauge suggestions? I've been using .008 & .017 G strings, but they keep breaking! HELP!!!

Are you sure it's not DADF#AD? That's what I have my sister's tuned to....

Question #1 - where are you breaking the string - by the nut or by the saddle? If it's by either - check to see if there's a burr in either.

Question #2 - Do you know how to do a truss-rod adjustment on it? If you do, and have done so in the past, and you have no burrs in the nut or the saddle, then you could try adjusting the action on the neck - lowering it so that your risk of breaking a string due to tension is less. If you have not done so, consider taking the guitar to a shop (even - ugh - Guitar Center) to have the action lowered. It's very simple to do, if you know how to do it.

Hope that helps...no pun intended LOL

It's not an F# because he wanted to avoid the third. I suggest using a .009 instead of the .008. You may have to go up to a .010. 8's will break rather quickly and with little more tension than when tuned to a G. I rarely use .008s anymore on my 12.

I feel your pain. The tuning worked for me the first time I tried it goofing off at home. I go on vacation hours from any music store and I break 2 G-strings trying to tune it. Now I keep 3 on me at all times just in case. Sucked having to go all weekend without a G-string though sad.gif

QUOTE (brokenstoned @ Aug 13 2007, 07:02 PM)
thank you for your response, the trouble was a bur on the tuning peg... I filed it and will try again soon...thanks again!

you're welcome!! smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 13 2007, 07:34 PM)
It's not an F# because he wanted to avoid the third. I suggest using a .009 instead of the .008. You may have to go up to a .010. 8's will break rather quickly and with little more tension than when tuned to a G. I rarely use .008s anymore on my 12.

oooh....well, it's a good thing I've only learned, like, the first 20 seconds of it then laugh.gif I need to start over from scratch now - with a new g-string...

But thank you Cyg! I really appreciate the tip! biggrin.gif

Ok, I have the tunings for Hope and For TWTWB according to Guitar Player Mag w/ Alex on the cover.

For TWTWB his Howard Roberts Fusion is tuned:

G G D G C E (low to high)

For Hope and the Main Monkey Business the 12 string is tuned:

D A D A A D (I would also venture a guess this is low to high as well).