Which Synth

LeCCy

Allright, Snowie coming to rescue! laugh.gif

Eh, well.... ohmy.gif I had the D-10 ages ago. It had some very nice pads and such. The D50 is ofcourse much more funny to have, better sounds, more sounds and more effects and like. The D10 suited my feeble playing at that time. It had only 8 tones of polyphony which gave me 4 tones if I wanted to combine 2 sounds. I am not sure how many tones polyphony the D50 have.

I am not familiar with the other synths you mentioned, but Prophecy is a legend which I sadly never have had the opportunity to try out. Maybe some other on this forum have?

What I had for manymany years was a Korg 01W/fd. It is approx 15-16 years old by now, but far newer than the D10/D50. It is a massive synth, still used by many bands. Arena used it up to the Contagion-album. I regret that I sold that synth! It has loads of good sounds. It is possible to tweak out a sound fairly like the lead sound on Tom Sawyer for instance. You should be able to get most of the needed sounds from this one. And it should be able to get it within that pricerange.

trink36.gif

I would definitely recommend the D-50. It's not perfect, but for an easy to find and reasonably priced synth that can do all-around resonable reproduction of analog and digital type sounds of that era, it's a good bet. I may be a little biased, but it's a great "one-stop shop" little workhorse.

At the risk of sounding like I am shamelessly plugging my band, you can check the MP3's on our media page to get an idea what it sounds like. Each and every keyboard sound in all the songs comes from a D50, even the more complex ones in The Camera Eye.

http://www.comnet.ca/~permanentwaves/mp3.html

Thanks for that gents - we will certainly check out the D50 a little more and keep and eye on the prohecy

I would think that you can shamelessly plug all you want in here, its a Rush forum after all. I visit Ontario every other year or so so perhaps one day ill make it at a time when you guys have a gig :-)