plane crashes in new york

Tick

2 people were killed in new york city today when yankee pitcher cory lidle and his instructor were killed as lidles plane crashed into a new york apartment building. as my heart goes out to lidle and his instructor this could have been so much worse. i guess my problem here is, what would someone who is still a student with only 75 hours experiance under his belt be doing flying a plane in a place like new york city ? it would seem to me he should have been honing his skills in some rural area which is more condusive to learning a skill that clearly should not be learned near millions of people and a major city like new york. i dont mean to sound cold but lets face it, this could have been catatrophic.

It sounds like maybe you got your information from Mayor Bloomberg. Well the most accurate info is that, Cory already had his license, actually had 95 hours flying, but it is a Yankees policy that if they have a pilot's license, they have an instructor on board whenever they fly. Guess it didn't help tonight though. Cory took off from Teterboro Airport in NJ which is why he was flying so close to Manhattan, on his way to see his family in California.

Cory leaves behind a wife and 6 year old son, as well as his parents. He was 34. RIP Cory, thanks for helping us beat the Red Sox.

I remember as a kid when Thurman Munson, the great Yankee captain was killed in a plane crash...Along with the death of Lou Gehrig the 2 greatest tragedies in Yankees' history...

As tragic as Cory's death is, it's a good thing no one in the apartment building was killed...

I was really sorry to hear of this unfortunate accident sad.gif

Archived