Howdy

Xabiche

Second post here (first in the guitar gear thread).

I just got a 4140 and have a MIM floyd strat and I'm looking to get the GuP vibe. Any pointers?

I haven't searched this forum yet but that's next on my list of things to do. First I just wanted to ask something that has probably already been asked a thousand times smile.gif

I replied to your thread over at TGP but I shall regergitate. laugh.gif

Humbucker in the strat? That should be first. For most GUP songs, I use the hum and middle single coil combo but I have very hot pickups so.... I use the humbucker for almost all of MP.

I read that you couldn't get a good 'dry" tone out of the amp. That might indicate that you need to have the amp serviced or retubed because both of mine have that really sweet, SRV type tone all on their own. Turn on the boost and turn up the pre amp gain and you should be getting some good sounds. I like to add something to push the front end of the amp a little harder like a Micro Amp or a D+. Alex's tone from MP, Signals and GUP was all about his pedals working together with the 4140. The chorus, delay and dirt pedals are where it's at. What pedals are you using now?

Hey, I haven't had a chance yet to play with it more but hopefully this week I can spend some time with it.

My floyd strat has HSS and I'm using some crappy Boss digital chorus/delay pedals. But without a good dry tone those cheezy pedals can only make things worse. I'm going to play with it some more then take in to a good tech for a complete checkout.

I use that strat on my triaxis/395 and my Cauble and can't get satisfactory tones out of it, so it may just be that particular humbucker. My LPs and other guitars sound great through those other amps but I haven't had a chance to run them through the 4140. I did play an SG w/EMGs through it when I tried it out before buying and it sounded fine. Supposedly it has new Ruby's in it, but I haven't verified that.

Also, I run it through a mesa recto standard cab in an iso box.

What's the signal chain on your pedals?

The 4140 that I bought was supposedly one of three bought new for general use at the Austin Rehearsal Complex. A lot of big names like SRV probably spent some time using it. It's beat to hell and definitely has seen some heavy use. Personally, that kind of thing doesn't inspire me to buy gear... I just wanted the amp to get the '80s Rush tones smile.gif

QUOTE (Xabiche @ Sep 18 2006, 08:40 AM)
Hey, I haven't had a chance yet to play with it more but hopefully this week I can spend some time with it.

My floyd strat has HSS and I'm using some crappy Boss digital chorus/delay pedals. But without a good dry tone those cheezy pedals can only make things worse. I'm going to play with it some more then take in to a good tech for a complete checkout.

I use that strat on my triaxis/395 and my Cauble and can't get satisfactory tones out of it, so it may just be that particular humbucker. My LPs and other guitars sound great through those other amps but I haven't had a chance to run them through the 4140. I did play an SG w/EMGs through it when I tried it out before buying and it sounded fine. Supposedly it has new Ruby's in it, but I haven't verified that.

Also, I run it through a mesa recto standard cab in an iso box.

What's the signal chain on your pedals?

The 4140 that I bought was supposedly one of three bought new for general use at the Austin Rehearsal Complex. A lot of big names like SRV probably spent some time using it. It's beat to hell and definitely has seen some heavy use. Personally, that kind of thing doesn't inspire me to buy gear... I just wanted the amp to get the '80s Rush tones smile.gif

I think you need an overdrive or distortion pedal to get what you are looking for. You said you tested it out with an EMG equipped guitar and it sounded fine right? Well EMG's are active pickups and much hotter than the pickup you are using in your strat so an overdrive will help make your signal hotter which the amp will react to. Also volume. Tube amps sound their best when cranked. You are not only getting the tubes to break up in the pre amp section but also the power amp tubes start to break up and that (IMO) is where the amp shines.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Jah, that may be the trick. I don't have any boost pedals but I do have an explorer with emg's and I'll give that a go.

I'm aware of all the tube stuff... I've got a 4x12 cab in an iso box and I'm driving it with the 4140, bypassing the combo's 2x12s. This way I can put the volume up to about 7 before ticking off the neighbors and the wife smile.gif

That 4x12 is coloring the tone from what you'd expect directly out of the combo, but I wouldn't expect it to give me the unsatisfactory tone that I was getting.

BTW... do you use both the micro amp and the d+ together?

Edited by Xabiche

QUOTE (Xabiche @ Sep 18 2006, 02:20 PM)
Jah, that may be the trick. I don't have any boost pedals but I do have an explorer with emg's and I'll give that a go.

I'm aware of all the tube stuff... I've got a 4x12 cab in an iso box and I'm driving it with the 4140, bypassing the combo's 2x12s. This way I can put the volume up to about 7 before ticking off the neighbors and the wife smile.gif

That 4x12 is coloring the tone from what you'd expect directly out of the combo, but I wouldn't expect it to give me the unsatisfactory tone that I was getting.

BTW... do you use both the micro amp and the d+ together?

No. I use one or the other. Micro Amp just boosts the natural sound of the amp and adds harmonics while the D+ distorts and compresses.

Does your amp have the original speakers?

QUOTE (Xabiche @ Sep 18 2006, 03:30 PM)
Dunno if they're original or not. The baskets are red and appear to be fairly old but I'm not sure about the cones. I'm not really sure how to tell if either the cones/baskets are original.

If their red, their original. I would try using the combo speakers vs. the cabinets if you are really tying to nail the Lifeson tone. Alex did not use cabinets with his 4140's in the studio or live. Give the speakers a shot and see if there is a difference. Different speakers will break up at different volumes.