Question For Bass Players

ByWyzD

I have always wanted to play bass. Today I was in a shop and saw a used B.C. Rich Warlock Platinum series bass with fitted case. I can buy it for $300. It's in excellent condition. They go for $429 at Musicians Friend with out the case. Now, I had been considering buying a Fender Bass pack to get started and the Warlock isn't exactly my style but I do think it looks pretty cool. As far as style of music, obviously I want to try to learn some Rush, but also a lot of other classic rock and some metal. Is this considered a good bass and is it a deal at $300? Thanks for any input you can give.

I don't know much about BC Rich, but if you're looking to learn some Rush, I'd suggest a Standard Jazz bass, I think they'll run you about $400.

Yeah, for the same price you can get a real decent J bass. If you like the Rich and can afford it get it. It all depends of the value you place on it. If you are buying it to play it and enjoy it then do it. I suggest you plug it in and play it and also play and listen to other basses in that price range for referrence. If it plays well and sounds good then why not? If it doesn't sound good or play well then get something you like. It's always a good idea to listen to a few to find whatever suits your taste.

The main reason I would suggest the Jazz is that it has a very good range of sound, and is particularly good at getting the Rush sound. I would try a Warlock though just to be sure.